Quanah in Hardeman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hardeman County Courthouse
A 1906 bond election secured funds for the construction of a new building to replace the 1890 county courthouse. The Commissioners Court selected architect R. H. Stuckey of Chillicothe and Tom Lovell & Sons of Denton to design and construct the building, respectively. Stuckey used a domed cupola, stone lintels over the windows, and ionic columns flanking the entryways to execute his Neoclassical design for the courthouse. Built of glazed tan brick with a raised basement of Indiana limestone, it was completed in 1908.
Since its construction, the Hardeman County Courthouse has served as the center of politics and government for county residents. The square is a focal point for local festivals and community events. An anchor in Quanah's downtown historic district, the 1908 courthouse continues as a significant part of the community's architectural heritage.
Erected 2001 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12782.)
Location. 34° 17.822′ N, 99° 44.405′ W. Marker is in Quanah, Texas, in Hardeman County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (State Highway 6) and West 4th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Located on the law of the Hardeman County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 South Main Street, Quanah TX 79252, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quanah Parker (within shouting distance of this marker); Quanah Parker Trail Arrow (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hardeman County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Jesse McDonald (approx. 0.9 miles away); Medicine Mound Community (approx. 11.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Hardeman County Courthouse and photos - from Texas Escapes. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Architecture • Government • Notable Buildings • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.