Clarendon in Donley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created • Organized
August 21, 1876 • March 22, 1882
Named in honor of
Stockton P. Donley
1821 – 1871
a Confederate officer
elected to the Texas Supreme
Bench in 1866
Clarendon, the County Seat
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 1250.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 34° 56.654′ N, 100° 53.952′ W. Marker is in Clarendon, Texas, in Donley County. Marker is at the intersection of West 2nd Street (U.S. 287) and State Highway 70, on the right when traveling west on West 2nd Street. Touch for map. Located in a truck rest area off westbound U.S. Highway 287. Marker is in this post office area: Clarendon TX 79226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. S. W. Lowe House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Church of St. John Baptist (approx. 0.6 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Clarendon Funeral Business in Clarendon (approx. 0.7 miles away); Stockton P. Donley (approx. 0.7 miles away); Donley County Courthouse (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Stephen's Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Clarendon News (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarendon.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Texas State Historical Association article about Donley County. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. History of Donley County, Texas. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 337 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.