Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
On July 16, 1927, the airport’s name changed to Meacham Field, in honor of former Mayor H. C. Meacham. Soon several airlines began to offer passenger service on the CAM routes. By 1931, the airport had expanded to 280 acres. On April 4, 1937, Meacham Field’s new Art Moderne Terminal (the first air-conditioned passenger terminal in the U.S.) and control tower were dedicated.
During World War II, in April 1943, American Airlines was awarded a contract to train U. S. Navy pilots at the airport on the Douglas R4D (DC-3) transport. In May 1943, the navy commissioned the airport as a naval auxiliary air facility and established a ferry service unit to coordinate
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18103.)
Location. 32° 48.313′ N, 97° 21.354′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Roass Avenue and West Long Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. This marker stands on the grounds of the Fort Worth Aviation Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3300 Ross Avenue, Fort Worth TX 76106, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thannisch Block Building (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Worth Stock Yards Entrance (approx. 1.2 miles away); The First Bulldogger (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Coliseum (approx. 1.2 miles away); Early Quarter Horse Shows (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Worth Livestock Exchange (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Worth Stock Yards Company (approx. 1.2 miles away); Thomas B. Saunders Family (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
More about this marker. The dedication ceremony and unveiling were held August 20, 2016 at 11:00am.
Also see . . . Fort Worth Aviation Museum. (Submitted on August 22, 2016.)
Categories. • Air & Space • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 20, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.