Miakka in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Miakka School
The Miakka School House was built in 1914 by J.B. Rogers for $1,390. It was the first school in Manatee County to be built using school bonds authorized by the Legislature of 1913. This area was part of Manatee County until 1921.
The two acres of land surrounding the school house were deeded to the county school board on July 23, 1914 by Augustus M. and Calidonia Wilson. "Gus" Wilson represented Manatee County in the State Legislature of 1913 and 1915. He was postmaster of Miakka, served as tax assessor, census enumerator, and as a member of the school board for eight years.
Professor Lee Hall was hired for $55 a month when the building was completed. Teachers generally resided with the families in the community. School was in session only five months a year, as pupils were needed at home to help with family crops and other chores.
The Miakka School was disbanded around 1944 and pupils were sent to other schools. Jasper Crowley, who served from 1933 to 1944, was the much loved teacher at that time.
On July 3, 1986, The Miakka School was officially listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 1987 by Sarasota County Historical Commission.
Location. 27° 19.223′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15800 Wilson Road, Sarasota FL 34240, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Loring Lovell (approx. 13.8 miles away); Palmer Ranch (approx. 14 miles away); South Creek Trestle / Oscar Scherer History (approx. 15.3 miles away); Laurel Turpentine and Lumber Industry (approx. 16.6 miles away); Laurel Turpentine Company / Blackburn Sawmill Quarters (approx. 16.7 miles away); Johnson Chapel / Albee Quarters (approx. 17.1 miles away); Shakett Creek / Estuary "the cradle of the ocean" (approx. 17.2 miles away); Turpentine / Venice Ice House (approx. 17˝ miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.