Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Mount Saint Vincent

 
 
Mount Saint Vincent Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, July 10, 2016
1. Mount Saint Vincent Marker
This is the area of Central Park sometimes called Fort Landscape.
Inscription. Near this site along the old Kingsbridge Road stood the first motherhouse of the Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent DePaul of New York and the Academy of Mount Saint Vincent 1847-1859
 
Location. 40° 47.717′ N, 73° 57.164′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on 5th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located in Central Park south of Fort Clinton. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10029, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Clinton: On Top of Manhattan (within shouting distance of this marker); A View From the Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Before There Was a Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Odetta (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); J. Marion Sims, M.D., L.L.D. (approx. 0.2 miles away); The New York Academy of Medicine (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marian Anderson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Arthur Brisbane (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
 
Mount Saint Vincent site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, July 10, 2016
2. Mount Saint Vincent site Marker
The city is visible in the distance to the left. In the distance to the right is the High Bridge that brought water into the city from the Croton Reservoir.
Mount Saint Vincent area image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, July 10, 2016
3. Mount Saint Vincent area
The marker is out of sight at the end of the path behind the bushes. The building was destroyed by fire in 1881, but during the winter some remains are supposed to be visible in the undergrowth to the left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2016, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2016, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement