Terrell in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Terrell Elementary School
Over the years increased enrollment placed greater demand on the primary school and other schools. In 1931 the Terrell School Board decided to erect new school buildings with financial assistance provided by the Public Works Administration. Completed in 1936, this primary school was designed by Dallas architect Mark Lemmon, and contained 14 classrooms and an auditorium with a 12-foot stage.
Still in use, this building is a fine example of Georgian revival architecture, featuring a 5-bay primary facade, rounded pedimented entry doors, round-arch windows on the auditorium, and chimney-like features at the gable ends. The school was renamed in 1979 in honor of Superintendent John E. Langwith (1889-1976) who served the Terrell School District from 1923-1959.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8555.)
Location. 32° 44.656′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 North Catherine Street, Terrell TX 75160, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. S. M. N. Marrs (within shouting distance of this marker); St. John Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church of Terrell (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Church of the Good Shepherd (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rockwall and Brin Church of Christ (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dr. L. E. Griffith Homeplace (approx. 0.4 miles away); Carnegie Public Library (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Terrell.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Also on these grounds
Categories. • Architecture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 248 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.