Hadley in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Merged With D&H 11/1902
Hotel Guests Met At Station
Hadley Depot Closed 8/1958
Station Has Been Demolished
Erected 1999 By Town of Hadley
Erected 1999 by Town of Hadley.
Location. 43° 19.012′ N, 73° 50.952′ W. Marker is in Hadley, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is at the intersection of Rockwell St. (County Route 4) and The railroad tracks, on the right when traveling west on Rockwell St.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hadley NY 12835, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bow Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Garnar Tannery (approx. half a mile away); Conklingville Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); (Hadley Mountain) Fire Tower (approx. 6.4 miles away); Five Mile Run (approx. 8.2 miles away); French Mtn. Hamlet (approx. 8.4 miles away); Military Road (approx. 8½ miles away); Colonel Ephraim Williams, Jr. (approx. 8½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hadley.
Regarding Hadley Station. In 1871, a sixty mile railroad line was completed from Saratoga Springs to North Creek, New
The rail line began in 1863 as the Adirondack Company, incorporated under Dr. Thomas C. Durant, a leading figure in the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1881 the mortgage was foreclosed on the property, and the line was sold to his son, William West Durant, and then renamed The Adirondack Railway Company. On November 5th in 1902 it merged with the Delaware and Hudson Railroad to become the Adirondack Branch.
The railroad station in Hadley was built in 1870 as a combination passenger and freight station and was the largest one of on the line, and measured 20'x96'. In 1957, the NYS Public Service Commission granted permission to suspend passenger service to the Hadley depot. It closed on August 5th, 1958. It was sold and removed probably in 1959 and the property was sold to Joseph White who used the spot to park trucks for his lumbering business. It was located on the northeast side of the intersection with Conklingville Road in Hadley.
Also see . . .
1. Hadley Station Photos. (Submitted on September 2, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Hadley Station Drawing. (Submitted on September 2, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 2, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.