Trinity Lutheran Church
In 1880 many Germans left Milwaukee and settled in Manistee County. Among them was lumberman Henry Starke, who vowed to return to Wisconsin if no Lutheran church could be found. Instead he helped to organize this congregation in 1881, and he platted Arcadia the same year. In 1887 Starke donated land and money for this Neo-Gothic church, completed in 1888. The complex grew to include a parsonage, a school and a teacherage.
Erected 2002 by Michigan Historical Commission, Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2118.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 44° 29.536′ N, 86° 14.15′ W. Marker is in Arcadia, Michigan, in Manistee County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street and Mill Street, on the right when traveling north on 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17193 3rd Street, Arcadia MI 49613, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Restoring Arcadia Marsh and Fish Passage within Bowens Creek (approx. 0.4 miles away); Harriet Quimby / Childhood Home (approx. 2.9 miles away); Paul P. Harris
Also see . . .
1. A Brief History of the Lutheran Church, Arcadia MI. (Submitted on September 4, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Trinity Lutheran Church, Arcadia MI. (Submitted on September 4, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 4, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.