In 1858, in what was then a remote wilderness, the Rev. Charles E. Bailey and four families from his Ohio Congregational parish founded Benzonia colony. It was to be an "educational Christian colony" modeled after the earlier Congregational settlements at Oberlin, Ohio and Olivet, Michigan. As an integral part of the new community, Grand Traverse College was chartered in 1863. Its first building was erected on this corner. During the pioneer era it provided college preparatory work and teacher training. The school was reorganized as Benzonia College in 1891. It supplied college-level education until 1900. Benzonia Academy was then maintained until changed conditions led to its closing in 1918. Benzonia College and Academy fulfilled the founders' dream of bringing educational opportunity to northern Michigan.
Erected 1964 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number S0245.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 44° 37.091′ N, 86° 5.964′ W. Marker is in Benzonia, Michigan, in Benzie County. Marker is on Michigan Avenue (U.S. 31) north of Traverse Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Benzonia MI 49616, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . . Benzie County Travel. (Submitted on September 5, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.