When the Terrace Inn opened in 1911, its owners billed it as Bay View's "newest and most modern hotel." One of only two remaining hotels among the resort's four hundred Victorian houses and public buildings, it was built to accommodate the growing numbers of summer visitors to Bay View, including those on adult education Chautauqua tours. William J. DeVol of Lebanon, Indiana, and his wife, Josephine, built the inn and served as the original proprietors. The new inn featured such modern amenities as hot water heat, hot and cold baths, and electric lights and call bells. The dining room offered a full menu with "hot things very hot, and cold things very cold." Although the interior saw some alterations to meet the changing needs of guests, the Terrace Inn retains its historic character.
Erected 2009 by Michigan Historical Commission, Michigan Historical Center.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 45° 23.011′ N, 84° 56.229′ W. Marker is in Bay View, Michigan, in Emmet County. Marker is on Glendale Avenue east of Knapp Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1549 Glendale Avenue, Petoskey MI 49770, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . . Terrace Inn, Bay View, Michigan. (Submitted on September 5, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 5, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.