Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
U.S. Arsenal Oﬃcers’ - Surgeons’ Quarters and Barracks 1833 - 1875
The land on which the Officers' Quarters and Barracks stood was given, along with other arsenal lots, to the school district by an Act of Congress in 1890. Both buildings were razed in 1892. The Dearborn Public School (grades 1-12) occupied the site from 1893 to 1926 and was razed in 1926. Garrison School, now the Salisbury Elementary School, was erected in 1916.
Erected 1967 by Dearborn Historical Commission.
Location. 42° 18.441′ N, 83° 14.702′ W. Marker is in Dearborn, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Garrison Street and Monroe Street on Garrison Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22000 Garrison Street, Dearborn MI 48124, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S. Arsenal-Sutler's Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); A Military Reserve Michigan Soldiers Trained at U.S. Arsenal During Civil War (about 400 feet away); U.S. Arsenal 1833 - 1875 (about 400 feet away); Commandant's Quarters (about 500 feet away); Westward Welcome (about 600 feet away); Bryant Branch Library (about 700 feet away); U.S. Arsenal 1839-1875 Powder Magazine (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dearborn.
The building is no longer the Salisbury Elementary School. It now houses the Imam Mahdi Association of Marjaeya.
— Submitted September 7, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Categories. • Education • Military • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.