Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
U.S. Arsenal-Sutler's Shop
1833 - 1875
Built originally as the Sutler's Shop where soldiers might purchase tobacco and needed supplies, this 36' x 25' brick building with its slate roof was but one of the eleven buildings which comprised the arsenal.
Enclosed by a 12' high brick wall, the Sutler's Shop was the north-eastern most building in the arsenal square, to the west was the guard house of almost equal size while to the south, approximately on the site of the Masonic Temple stood the armory, a 3-story building 120' x 37' in size used for the storage of military equipment and for social activities.
Erected by Dearborn Historical Commission.
Location. 42° 18.45′ N, 83° 14.647′ W. Marker is in Dearborn, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Garrison Street and Monroe Street, on the right when traveling west on Garrison Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 861 Monroe Street, Dearborn MI 48124, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Military Reserve (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Arsenal Officers' - Surgeons' Quarters and Barracks 1833 - 1875 (within shouting distance of this marker); Michigan Soldiers Trained at U.S. Arsenal During Civil War Commandant's Quarters (about 400 feet away); U.S. Arsenal 1833 - 1875 (about 500 feet away); Westward Welcome (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bryant Branch Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S. Arsenal 1839-1875 Powder Magazine (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dearborn.
Categories. • Military • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.