Terrell in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Major W.F. Long
In 1939, Long attended Gen. "Hap" Arnold's Washington, D.C. briefing on the use of civilian contract schools to train U.S. Army pilot cadets in anticipation of World War II. Long received a contract and the program's success led to a second contract, for a school at the reactivated Hicks Field in Fort Worth and for an airplane mechanics training school at Love Field. Long opened another school at Curtis Field in Brady in March 1941. England also sent its Royal Air Force (RAF) cadets to train in the U.S., contracting with Long to open the No. 1 British Flying
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17215.)
Location. 32° 42.664′ N, 96° 16.165′ W. Marker is in Terrell, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is at the intersection of British Flying School Boulevard and South Virginia Street (Texas Highway 34), on the left when traveling east on British Flying School Boulevard. Touch for map. Located at the Terrell Municipal Airport terminal building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 British Flying School Boulevard, Terrell TX 75160, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. No. 1 British Flying Training School (approx. half a mile away); William Henry Burnett (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Old Graveyard (approx. 1.7 miles away); Texas & Pacific Railroad Freight Depot (approx. 1.7 miles away); The American National Bank (approx. 1.8 miles away); Robert A. Terrell Home (approx. 1.9 miles away); Gov. Oscar Branch Colquitt (1861-1940) (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Terrell.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. No. 1 British Flying Training School
Categories. • Air & Space • War, World I • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.