Brazile Petoskey Dry Goods and Groceries
—301 East Lake Street —
The City of Petoskey was named after Ignatius Petoskey who is pictured above with his two sons. The earliest commercial building at this site was a dry goods and grocery store operated by Brazile (also; "Bazile" or "Basil") Petoskey, sitting to the right of his father in this photo. Mitchell Petoskey, Brazile's brother, is seated to his father's left. At the turn of the century this Petoskey Street location was part of a bustling shopping district that extended to the waterfront and was known as the Midway. This site had uses such as an ice cream shop before Carl and Ruth Shorter opened a souvenir shop here in 1946. In 1996, the historic charm of the Grandpa Shorter's building was restored by William and Marietta Shorter.
National Register of Historic Places
Erected by Little Traverse Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan, Little Traverse Historical Society marker series.
Location. 45° 22.503′ N, 84° 57.426′ W. Marker is in Petoskey, Michigan, in Emmet County. Marker is at the intersection of Lake Street and Petoskey Street, on the left when traveling east on Lake Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 East Lake Street, Petoskey MI 49770, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . .
1. Little Traverse Historical Society. (Submitted on September 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Grandpa Shorter's, Petoskey MI. (Submitted on September 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.