Park Garden Cafe
Originally McCarty's Saloon and Billiard hall, the walls of the Park Garden Cafe would have a lot of stories to tell if they could talk. Built in 1875, the main billiard hall was one of Ernest Hemingway's favorite haunts. The interior is well-preserved with a pressed tin ceiling, wood trim and swinging doors. The 1894 Brunswick Bar is hand carved and built from black walnut, cherry and hickory. The second floor was used for dances, religious services, and town meetings, including the one that produced the Village Charter in 1879. About 1901, Frank Fochtman built the red brick two-story building just up the street. It had a bowling alley in the basement, a restaurant named "The Grill Café" on the main floor and apartments above. The vacant lot between the two became "The Palm Garden," an open-air café complete with fountains and a tent for shade. In 1997, The Park Garden was renamed The City Park Grill.
Erected by City of Petoskey.
Location. 45° 22.491′ N, 84° 57.21′ W. Marker is in Petoskey, Michigan, in Emmet
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Annex (within shouting distance of this marker); Desert Shield / Desert Storm Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Michael B. Lindemuth (about 300 feet away); Vietnam Memorial (about 300 feet away); Carnegie Library Building (about 300 feet away); Heath Michael Robinson (about 300 feet away); Bruce Catton (about 300 feet away); World War II and Korea Memorial (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petoskey.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 134 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 21, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.