Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ranger in Eastland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Roaring Ranger

 
 
Roaring Ranger Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 8, 2016
1. Roaring Ranger Marker
Inscription. Boom of high excitement and strategic importance. When oil demand was high during World War I, Texas Pacific Coal Company General Manager W.K. Gordon, a believer in deep drilling, persuaded his company to make the venture that started Rangerís oil boom at McClesky No. 1 (1 mi. S). This blew in, October, 1917, as a 1700-barrels-a-day gusher. Later gushers yielded up to 7,000 and 11,000-barrels-a-day each.
†††††Ten daily trains brought in prospectors packed in the aisles or on tops of coaches. Rangerís dozen or so houses became a city of drillers, suppliers, oil company offices. Living quarters were so scarce that not only were beds of day-tour men occupied by the graveyard-tour men, but overstuffed chairs were also rented for sleeping. Food was hard to get and prices were high. For two rainy years, Ranger was a sea of mud. A sled taxied people across streets, or a man in hip boots carried them piggyback. However, money was plentiful, and forces of vice moved in. After five murders occured in one day, law officers arrested many criminals and expelled gamblers and vagrants.
†††††Rangerís success overshadowed its troubles. It is said to have yielded in a year twice the wealth of best years in California and Klondike gold fields.
 
Erected 1967 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee.
Roaring Ranger Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 8, 2016
2. Roaring Ranger Marker
View to east across S. Commerce St
(Marker Number 4287.)
 
Location. 32° 28.192′ N, 98° 40.786′ W. Marker is in Ranger, Texas, in Eastland County. Marker is on S. Commerce Street south of Main Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ranger TX 76470, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Well Number 19 (a few steps from this marker); The Bankhead Highway (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Oil Well Drilled in Eastland County (within shouting distance of this marker); Ranger Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Ranger Municipal Airport (approx. one mile away); Merriman Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Merriman Baptist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Bankhead Highway Through Eastland County (approx. 7.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ranger.
 
Also see . . .  Ranger, TX. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Online Handbook of Texas”. (Submitted on September 24, 2016.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Marker near Ranger Train Depot, now Roaring Ranger Museum image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 8, 2016
3. Marker near Ranger Train Depot, now Roaring Ranger Museum
View to south along S. Commerce St
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 24, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement