Near Newcastle in Weston County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
In light of the abundance of coal, the Cambria Mining Company, later called The Cambria Fuel Company, was organized in 1891 and acquired 17,000 acres of land. By the turn of the century the company was mining 1500 to 1800 tons of coal daily.
To house its employees, the company created the town of Cambria. From 1900 and 1920 between 1000 and 1500 people of various nationalities lived here. The community supported many business and civic organizations, including three churches, an opera house, a school, a hotel, a sawmill, and a concert band.
Cambria was dependent upon the availability of coal. In the winter of 1927, no new coal seams were available. All work came to a stop at noon on March 15, 1928, and soon afterward, people began to leave Cambria. Within a couple of years the town site was abandoned, and the equipment and buildings were moved elsewhere.
Erected by Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office.
Location. 43° 55.02′ N, 104° 10.902′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23449 CanAm Highway, Newcastle WY 82701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salt Creek Overlook (approx. 0.4 miles away); Flying V Cambria Inn (approx. 2.7 miles away); Cambria Salt Mine (approx. 4.3 miles away); Hanging of Diamond L. Slim Clifton (approx. 4˝ miles away); The Trains Power Newcastle (approx. 4˝ miles away); Cambria Powers the Trains (approx. 4˝ miles away); Accidental Oil Well (approx. 6.9 miles away); Site of Field City (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newcastle.
More about this marker. This markers is about 4 miles north of Newcastle.
Also see . . . Cambria, Wyoming -Wikipedia. ...demand for coal skyrocketed as railroads began westward expansion. The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad stopped its westward expansion in Alliance, Nebraska, due to high eastern coal costs. Kilpatrick Brothers & Collins (KB&C) sent prospectors into the Black Hills to search for coal in the hopes of securing a railroad contract with the railroad. In 1887, high-grade anthracite deposits (Submitted on September 25, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 25, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.