The first white settlement in Cleveland Township was established on this site Nov. 1, 1855, and was called North Unity. The Shaldas, Krubners, and Svobodas, were among the early settlers. Agnes Krubner Svoboda, in whose memory this plaque is placed was born on this site April 14, 1857.
Erected April 14, 1957
Erected 1957 by Frank V. and Joseph W. Svoboda.
Location. 44° 55.308′ N, 85° 52.348′ W. Marker is near Maple City, Michigan, in Leelanau County. Marker is at the intersection of Harbor Highway (State Highway 22) and Bohemian Road (County Road 669), on the right when traveling west on Harbor Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Cleveland Twp Hall at 955 West Harbor Hwy, Maple City MI 49664, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sleeping Bear Point Life Saving Station. (approx. 8 miles away); The Moving Dune (approx. 8.7 miles away); Sand and Ice (approx. 8.8 miles away); Leland Historical District (Fishtown)
Also see . . . About Cleveland Township, Leelanau County MI. (Submitted on September 29, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 29, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 29, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.