Middletown in Middlesex County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Wesleyan University’s “College Row”
In 1825, a visitor standing here would have seen a crowd of boys clad in soldiers uniforms, practicing military drills, or racing to their classes. The cadets, as they were called, were students at the new American Literary, Scientific and Military Academy, which drew hundreds of boys from around the country. But the school’s success was short-lived; in 1829 the academy closed, leaving two empty brownstone buildings.
Middletown leaders previously had tried to encourage a college to settle in the city. Local officials began talks with leaders of the Methodist church, promising city support – including the academy buildings – for the establishment of a Methodist college. Wesleyan University opened here in 1831.
From its beginnings, the school focused on a liberal arts curriculum and was among the first to teach advanced course work in modern languages, and to devote a building solely to science instruction. By 1872, students could choose electives and pursue a degree in one of three courses of study: Classical, Latin Scientific, or Scientific. Several early faculty members held Ph.D.'s at a time when few American college instructors held advanced degrees.
Although in the early years most students were Methodists, Wesleyan admitted students of other denominations. The first African-American student
The distinctive brownstone buildings of "College Row," which you see before you, comprised the college's 19th campus: from left, Judd Hall (1871), the '92 Theatre – formerly Rich Hall – (1868) Memorial Chapel (1871), South College (1824-1825) and North College (originally built in 1824-1825: rebuilt after a 1906 fire). After 1900, Wesleyan's campus expanded significantly, stretching to Church Street in the south, and Foss Hill to the west, based on a plan developed by Henry Bacon, the designer of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.
Wesleyan's first period of coeducation was very much in keeping with Methodist interest in higher education for women, and it had the strong support of many of the University's prominent trustees, administrators, and faculty. Many male Wesleyan students, and later alumni, were considerably less enthusiastic about coeducation. Wesleyan's women students endured much taunting and social ostracism from their male counterparts. Nevertheless, most of the women persisted, and they excelled academically. All four of the first female students became Phi Beta Kappa scholars.
In an era when marriage almost always precluded a woman's career, over half of the female graduates between 1876 and 1892 chose to remain single and pursue occupations. While most became teachers or school principals, later graduates included social workers, scientists, a draftsman, even a "citrus fruit rancher." In 1892, when the female population increased to about twenty percent, male undergraduates and alumni stepped up their opposition to coeducation. Their successful campaign influenced Wesleyan's trustees to admit no more women after the fall of 1909. Wesleyan remained all-male until 1968, when women were admitted as transfer students. Women enrolled as first-year students beginning in the Fall of 1970. This time, Wesleyan was in the forefront of a wave of coeducation that swept many top-ranked schools, particularly in the East. With the admission of women, Wesleyan also greatly expanded the size of the student body, and since that time has maintained an approximately equal enrollment of men and women in each class.
The school operated under the supervision of the flamboyant Captain Alden Partridge, a former West Point superintendent who had been court-martialled for insubordination. At his Middletown academy, Partridge instituted a complete course of military tactics, including dally drills, artillery duty and marches to destinations as far away as Washington, D.C.
But before long, the school's rigorous discipline began to deteriorate. In 1827, a travel writer named Anne Royall described the boys as "ruffians" in a school "knee-deep in dirt." Soon money problems surfaced: the academy's trustees could not raise the funds for a library or scientifc equipment. The school closed in 1829. Of the academy buildings, only South College (second from right in College Row) remains today.
Helmet worn by Elihu William Nathan Starr as a cadet at the American Literary, Scientific and Military Academy in 1827.
Courtesy of the Middlesex County Historical Society In 1870, nearly four decades after Wesleyan's founding, cow pastures and the school barn dominated the field behind College Row. It wasn't until 1898 that the university created Andrus Field as a site for athletics.
Wesleyan's women students in 1881-1882 included a future physician, nurse, missionary, and many teachers. One woman taught in China and in schools for African-American children in the South; another authored a science textbook. Courtesy of Wesleyan University Library Special Collections & Archives
Erected by the Middlesex County Historical Society.
Location. 41° 33.336′ N, 72° 39.29′ W. Marker is in Middletown, Connecticut, in Middlesex County. Marker is on High Street near William Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located at the edge of Wesleyan University campus. Marker is in this post office area: Middletown CT 06457, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Abolitionist Movement (approx. ¼ mile away); Congregation Adath Israel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Danforth Pewter Shop (approx. 0.3 miles away); Russell House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Washington Green (approx. 0.3 miles away); Middletown Korea Vietnam Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Russell Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Middletown World War I Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middletown.
More about this marker. Weather has affected the clarity of the text and pictures. The Middlesex County Historical Society generously aided in transcribing this marker.
Also see . . . The Middlesex County Historical Society. (Submitted on October 12, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 12, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.