Near Cape Charles in Northampton County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Slavery on the Eastern Shore
In 1655 John Custis II owned five slaves and nine indentured servants. By 1677 he had increased his holdings to 17 slaves, very probably to help build the Arlington mansion. As he bought more land, he also bought more slaves. The descendants of some of those slaves, known as the Custis Slaves, lived in the Old Plantation Creek area until the beginning of the 20th century.
Later, during the l8th century, the Royal African Company, which had been established by Parliament in 1762, began to send large shipments of slaves from the west coast of Africa directly to the Chesapeake
Erected by Arlington Foundation, Inc.
Location. 37° 13.727′ N, 76° 0.198′ W. Marker is near Cape Charles, Virginia, in Northampton County. Marker is on Arlington Chase Road north of Custis Tomb Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cape Charles VA 23310, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mansion Site (here, next to this marker); Bacon's Rebellion (here, next to this marker); Indians (here, next to this marker); The Custis Tombs (within shouting distance of this marker); Cape Charles Colored School (approx. 2.4 miles away); Cape Charles (approx. 2.7 miles away); Cape Charles to Little Creek (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Chesapeake Bay Impact Crater (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cape Charles.
This and the other three markers are in obvious disrepair
— Submitted October 16, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
Categories. • African Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 16, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 132 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 16, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.