Downtown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Church of the Ascension and St. Agnes
A National Landmark
The National Register of Historic Places
under the provisions of
the Historic Act of August 1, 1935.
This site possesses
historic architectural significance.
National Park Service
The United States Department of the Interior
Erected 1984 by National Park Service.
Location. 38° 54.262′ N, 77° 1.729′ W. Marker is in Downtown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, NW and 12th Street, NW, on the right when traveling west on Massachusetts Avenue, NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1217 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Messer Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Leonard "Bud" Doggett House (about 500 feet away); Morrison-Clark Inn (about 600 feet away); Franklin Square (about 800 feet away); Alexander Graham Bell Asbury United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Major General George H. Thomas (approx. 0.2 miles away); Care for the City (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Downtown.
Also see . . . The Church of the Ascension and St. Agnes. The Church of the Ascension and Saint Agnes is an Episcopal church building located at 1215 Massachusetts Avenue in Northwest Washington, D.C. The current structure built in 1874 as the Church of the Ascension was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. In the late 1940s, the Church of the Ascension merged with the nearby St. Agnes Episcopal Church and adopted its present name, under which it has continued as an active parish in the Episcopal Diocese of Washington. (Submitted on October 27, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.