Brig. Gen. Elias Barbee
Born 1763. Died 1843. Served in Rev. War from Culpeper Co., Va. His five brothers, Daniel, John, Joshua, Thomas and William, also served in Revolution. Elias Barbee came early to what is now Taylor County. Lived eight miles N.W. of Campbellsville. He was appointed Major in 1792, Colonel in 1797, and Brig. General, in 1799, in Ky. Militia, 16th Regt., Green Co., Ky.
Represented Green Co. in Kentucky Senate. In 1822, Senator Barbee introduced a bill in the Senate calling for the establishment of the present Kentucky School for the Deaf at Danville, KY. Bill drawn up by Judge John Rowan, passed by Legislature and signed by Gov. Adair, establishing on April 10, 1823, first state-supported school for the deaf in the United States.
Erected 1975 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 1536.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 20.483′ N, 85° 20.717′ W. Marker is in Campbellsville, Kentucky, in Taylor County. Marker is at the intersection of East Broadway (Kentucky Route 68) and North Columbia Avenue, on the right when traveling east
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Campbellsville / Taylor County (here, next to this marker); Cumberland Trace (here, next to this marker); Confederate Raids (here, next to this marker); Courthouse Burned (here, next to this marker); First Taylor County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Second Taylor County Courthouse - 1867 (here, next to this marker); Campbell Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rebel Guerrillas on Main Street (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Campbellsville.
Also see . . . Kentucky School for the Deaf. (Submitted on October 29, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Education • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 29, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.