Philip Van Horne House
During the 1778-79 Middlebrook Encampment, the Van Horne House served as headquarters for General William Alexander (Lord Stirling) who was second-in-command under General Washington.
Erected 2016 by County of Somerset.
Location. 40° 33.696′ N, 74° 33.075′ W. Marker is in Bridgewater, New Jersey, in Somerset County. Marker is on Main Street (County Route 533) 0.2 miles east of Prominade Boulevard (County Route 683), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is across the street from the parking lot for the Somerset Ballpark and Bridgewater Rail Station. Marker is at or near this postal address: 941 Main Street, Bridgewater NJ 08807, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
More about this marker. The house is owned by Somerset County and is the headquarters of the Heritage Trail Association (www.heritagetrail.org/).
Regarding Philip Van Horne House. The site, known as Phil's Hill, was named after Philip Van Horne, a Bridgewater merchant. The house was extensively remodeled in the middle decades of the 19th and 20th centuries. The 1930's and 1940's remodeling was in the Colonial Revival Style and is especially significant. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
Categories. • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 31, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2016, by Thomas R. D'Amico of Somerville, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 299 times since then. Last updated on October 31, 2016, by Thomas R. D'Amico of Somerville, New Jersey. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 25, 2016, by Thomas R. D'Amico of Somerville, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.