Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cottage Grove in Lane County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Cottage Grove Historical Museum

1897 - 1983

 
 
Cottage Grove Historical Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 20, 2016
1. Cottage Grove Historical Museum Marker
Inscription.
Erected as a Roman Catholic church
Stained glass windows from Italy

Placed by
Calapooya Chapter
DAR

 
Erected by Daughters of the American Revolution Calapooya Chapter.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 43° 47.946′ N, 123° 3.902′ W. Marker is in Cottage Grove, Oregon, in Lane County. Marker is at the intersection of North H Street and Birch Avenue, on the right on North H Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 147 North H Street, Cottage Grove OR 97424, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Centennial Bridge (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elijah Bristow (approx. 13.4 miles away); Bristow Monument (approx. 13.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Cottage Grove Historical Society (Cottage Grove Historical Society). The Society presents a brief history of Cottage Grove. (Submitted on October 31, 2016.) 

2. National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet (National Park Service). (Submitted on October 31, 2016.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducation
 
Cottage Grove Historical Museum and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 20, 2016
2. Cottage Grove Historical Museum and Marker
The marker is visible here, mounted just above the top of the steps.

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Roman Catholic Church, informally known as St. Mary's, was dedicated on December 5, 1897. It is a particularly significant building for its octagonal form. Although octagonal structures are not uncommon in 19th century Oregon architecture, an octagonal church is unusual. Emeritus Professor Philip Dole, of the Department of Historic Preservation in the School of Architecture and Allied Arts at the University of Oregon, has stated that this building is the only public building of its kind in the Pacific Northwest. The church remains largely intact and meets National Register Criterion C for architecture due to its unique octagonal form. It is also significant for its craftsmanship in representing the work of skilled local carpenters. - Statement of Significance, National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 31, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 31, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement