New Iberia in Iberia Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Peter's College
On this site stood the 1885 Gothic Revival home of John Marsh Henshaw, purchased by Monsignor Jean Marie Langlois in 1913, Saint Peter's College began educating boys on September 9, 1918. A school building was constructed east of the Henshaw mansion in 1919. Staffed by the Christian Brothers, the college became a center of Catholic education. Because of increased enrollment, the college moved to De Lasalle Drive in 1957 and was renamed Catholic High School. The City of New Iberia purchased the Main Street property in 1962. The buildings were razed for the city's civic center. The Grotto, built in 1941, is all that remains. New Iberia's foremost historian, Glenn R. Conrad, was a graduate of Saint Peter's College.
Donated by the Conrad Family in loving memory of Glenn R. Conrad, New Iberia author and historian.
Erected 2012 by Iberia Cultural Resources Association.
Location. 30° 0.177′ N, 91° 48.816′ W. Marker is in New Iberia, Louisiana, in Iberia Parish. Marker is on East Main Street (State Highway 182) near Civic Center Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in front of the Iberia Parish Main Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 445 East Main Street, New Iberia LA 70560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Original New Iberia Fire Bell (a few steps from this marker); Becoming New Iberia (within shouting distance of this marker); New Iberia (within shouting distance of this marker); Félicité (within shouting distance of this marker); Frédéric Henri Duperier (within shouting distance of this marker); Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes (within shouting distance of this marker); The Weeks' Grove (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shadows-On-The Teche (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Iberia.
More about this marker. One of twenty-one trilingual historical markers (Spanish, French and English) located throughout New Iberia.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2016. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 6, 2016.