Scott County's Carnegie Library
Scott County Board of Commissioners appointed a library board 1917 in response to citizen petitions for a public library. Library board sought Carnegie grant for funding assistance. locally $7,500 was raised; Carnegie grant of $12,500 was added. Library opened and had 4,453 volumes in 1921.
Structure of brick and limestone designed by Clifford Shopbell & Co. in Renaissance Revival style; 1986 addition designed by Pecsok, Jelliffe, Randall & Nice. One of 1,679 libraries built in U.S. with funds from Philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Indiana build more Carnegie libraries that any other state.
Erected 2002 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Preservation Alliance, Inc., and Scoutt County Community Foundation.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
Location. 38° 41.085′ N, 85° 46.226′ W. Marker is in Scottsburg, Indiana, in Scott County. Marker is at the intersection of West Wardell Street and South Main Street, on the left when traveling west on West Wardell Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 South Main Street, Scottsburg IN 47170, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of
Also see . . . A History of US Public Libraries - Carnegie Libraries. (Submitted on November 8, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.