Town of Austin
Jeffersonville Railroad construction began 1848, completed through 1852. First station built on this site circa 1853 with two wood yards nearby for fuel. Official plat of Austin recorded 1853. Tradition is that town named by Mexican~American War veterans who used land vouchers given for service; several had served in Austin, Texas.
Early industries were timber~related with several saw and stave mills, which produced materials for ship building and made millions of barrel staves before the large trees were depleted. Food canning then became the major industry. In 1899, J.S. Morgan and others opened first cannery, which developed into national supplier of canned foods.
Erected 2002 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Preservation Alliance, Inc., and Scoutt County Community Foundation.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 38° 44.764′ N, 85° 48.421′ W. Marker is in Austin, Indiana, in Scott County. Marker is at the intersection of State Road 31 and West Morgan Street, on the left when traveling north on State Road 31. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin IN 47102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . . Austin Indiana History. (Submitted on November 11, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 11, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.