Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
War of 1812 Memorial
Soldiers and Sailors
War of 1812
Symbolic of all
who made the
in that war
Location. 38° 52.878′ N, 77° 4.548′ W. Marker is in Arlington National Cemetery, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is on Meigs Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Myer VA 22211, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lexington Minute Men (within shouting distance of this marker); R Adams Cowley (within shouting distance of this marker); Pan American Airways Flight 103 Memorial Cairn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Doubleday (about 500 feet away); General Philip Kearny Memorial (about 700 feet away); The Arlington Woodlands (about 700 feet away); Guardian of a Nation's Heritage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Civil War Unknowns Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington National Cemetery.
Also see . . . Remembering the unknown dead of the War of 1812.
So much attention is given the Tomb of the Unknowns, but there are actually more than 400 unknowns buried throughout Arlington National Cemetery. Fourteen soldiers and sailors from the War of 1812 are buried together in Section 1 not far from the Custis-Lee House. Go past the Pan American 103 red stone memorial and nearly enter the woods before the granite marker is on the left.
The 14 soldiers were discovered in 1905 by workers at the Washington Navy Yard. The monument was erected in 1976 by the National Society of the United States Daughters of the War of 1812. (Submitted on November 15, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.)
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 180 times since then and 17 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 14, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.