Seattle in King County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
The Brooklyn Building
Largely a residential street before the Great Fire of 1889, Second Avenue grew to rival First Avenue as the main business thoroughfare in the first decade of the twentieth century. The first mention of the Brooklyn is an 1891 listing in the Polk Directory for the Brooklyn Hotel Mrs. Sarah A. Kinnaman, proprieter, offering furnished rooms. The building owner, George W. Hadfield, maintained a crockery and furniture store on the lower floor until 1895.
In Henry Broderick's Mirrors of Seattle's Old Hotels, he writes, "...after the Great Fire, hotels sprung up, like mushrooms." This construction kept pace with the booming population which rose from 9,786 in 1885 to 80,761 in 1900. The Brooklyn and other residential hotels provided housing for laborers and others who lived and worked in the downtown area. While the upper floors functioned as a residential hotel until 1950, in the ensuing years, the lower floor continued to be occupied by small businesses.
Location. 47° 36.435′ N, 122° 20.212′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1222 Second Avenue, Seattle WA 98101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Everett G. DuPen (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Holyoke Building (about 700 feet away); First Avenue (about 800 feet away); Colman Building (about 800 feet away); Alexis Hotel / Globe Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); "This Market Is Yours" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Start of Seattle Fire Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Post Office in Seattle (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seattle.
Also see . . . Brooklyn Building, Downtown, Seattle, WA (PCAD). (Submitted on November 14, 2016.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 14, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.