Silverton in Briscoe County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created August 21, 1876
Organized March 15, 1892
Named for Andrew Briscoe
Defender of Texan liberty
at the Battle of Concepcion,
the Capture of Bexar and the
Battle of San Jacinto.
Chief Justice of Harris County.
Silverton is the County Seat
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 512.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 34° 28.437′ N, 101° 18.198′ W. Marker is in Silverton, Texas, in Briscoe County. Marker is on Lone Star Street east of Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Silverton TX 79257, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Miner Crawford (here, next to this marker); Briscoe County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); First Methodist Church of Silverton (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pleasant Lafayette Crawford House (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Silverton (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Moten Vaughan (approx. 1.1 miles away); Site of Celtic Post Office (approx. 8.2 miles away); Archeological Sites at Mackenzie Reservoir and Tule Canyon (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Silverton.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 21, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.