Canton in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Canton Pioneer Home
In the late 1820's, pioneers began settling the Cherry Hill area of Canton, following an Indian trail - a high, sandy and dry ridge that once was the beach of an Ice Age Lake, which today is known as Ridge Rd.
In 1827 Hugh Clyde received a land grant of 80 acres, which includes this property. Log cabins and this style ca. 1840 timber framed "Folk House" was typical of early pioneer homes built in the area.
From 1827-1922, this house and property changed hands ten times. Stillman Corwin owned this property the longest (1880-1922). Corwin's ancestors were among the earliest settlers in Canton, arriving in the 1830's.
In 2008 the Canton Historic District Commission had the opportunity to preserve this pioneer "Folk House" and moved it across the street to Preservation Park thanks to a gift from the property owners, Peter Stano and Uptown Ridge Investors, LLC.
Location. 42° 18.556′ N, 83° 32.07′ W. Marker is in Canton, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of North Ridge Road and Roanoke Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Ridge Road. Touch for map. Marker is in Preservation Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 North Ridge Road, Canton MI 48187, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Preservation Park (a few steps from this marker); Bartlett Travis House (within shouting distance of this marker); Farming in Canton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Historic Cady Barn (about 300 feet away); Palmer Shed (about 300 feet away); Cherry Hill School (approx. ¼ mile away); A Ford Village Industry (approx. ¼ mile away); Cherry Hill Village (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canton.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 176 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.