Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bunnik, Utrecht, Netherlands
 

The Tea House at Rhijnauwen - Since 1921

Het theehuis» op Rhijnauwen - Sinds 1921

 
 
The Tea House at Rhijnauwen - Since 1921 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 23, 2016
1. The Tea House at Rhijnauwen - Since 1921 Marker
Inscription. In het voorjaar van 1921 besloot de Gemeente Utrecht om "op een daarvoor geschikt te achten plekje van Rhijnauwen nabij den Krommenrijn een eenvoudig theehuisje te plaatsen ten einde wandelaars, wielrijders en roeiers een rustpunt te geven waar zij een aangename verpozing kunnen vinden." Als meest geschikte plek voor het theehuis werd een plek iets oostelijker en dichter bij de Kromme Rijn genoemd dan waar het theehuis nu ligt, namelijk ongeveer op de plaats waar nu de speeltuin is. Maar "aangezien deze plek binnen den kleinen kring van het fort Rhijnauwen valt, hetgeen bij de uitvoering hinderlijke beperkingen oplevert", viel de keuze op de huidige locatie (zie ook de andere kant van dit infopaneel). De bouw van het theehuis in de stijl van de Amsterdamse School kostte destijds 6500 gulden.

In 1924 werd op verzoek van de pachter een eenvoudige houten woning aan het theehuis gebouwd. Dit is het gedeelte rechts van de hoofdingang. Het theehuis werd in 1997 aan de kant van de Kromme Rijn uitgebreid met een ontwerp van architect Bertus Mulder, een leerling van Gerrit Rietveld. De uitbreiding, waaronder een paviljoen in Japanse stijl, loopt via de veranda op een natuurlijke wijze over in de toen opnieuw aangelegde Japanse tuin.

[English translation:]

In the spring of 1921, the City of Utrecht decided
The Tea House at Rhijnauwen (1924) - Inset Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 23, 2016
2. The Tea House at Rhijnauwen (1924) - Inset Photo on Marker
to "consider a spot at Rhijnauwen near the Kromme Rijn [the nearby river] for a simple tea house, suitable for giving walkers, cyclists and rowers a haven where they can find a pleasant rest." The most suitable place for the teahouse, a place further east and closer to the Kromme Rijn was considered, approximately at the place where the children's playground now stands. But its proximity to the outer bounds of Rhijnauwen fort put annoying limitations on the implementation of the plans, so a choice was made to construct the Amsterdam School-style tea house at the current location at a cost of 6,500 guilders.

In 1924, a simple wooden house at the teahouse was built at the request of the tenant. This is the section to the right of the main entrance. In 1997, an extension to the tea house was added on the side of the Kromme Rijn, designed by architect Bertus Mulder, a pupil of Gerrit Rietveld. The expansion, including a Japanese-style pavilion, runs through the porch in a natural way into the then re-landscaped Japanese garden.
 
Location. 52° 4.197′ N, 5° 10.667′ E. Marker is in Bunnik, Utrecht. Marker is on Rhijnauwenselaan just north of Utrecht Route N411, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Rhijnauwenselaan 16, Bunnik, Utrecht 3981, Netherlands.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
The Tea House at Rhijnauwen - Since 1921 Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 23, 2016
3. The Tea House at Rhijnauwen - Since 1921 Marker - Wide View
8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Doopsgezinde Kerk / Mennonite Church (approx. 4.3 kilometers away); Geboortehuis van Paus Adriaan / Birthplace of Pope Adrian (approx. 4.3 kilometers away); Voormalig Klooster en Later Weeshuis / Former Monastery and Later Orphanage (approx. 4.3 kilometers away); De Zakkendrager / The Porters (approx. 4.3 kilometers away); St. Jacobsgasthuis / St. James' Guest House (approx. 4.4 kilometers away); Mieropskameren / Mierop's Homes (approx. 4.4 kilometers away); Claustraal Huis van Oudemunster / Canon House of the Former Oudmunster Church (approx. 4.4 kilometers away); Universiteit Utrecht / Utrecht University (approx. 4.4 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .  ’t Theehuis sinds 1921 / The Tea House Since 1921 (Dutch only). The Tea House's history. (Submitted on November 25, 2016.) 
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 25, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement