Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

New York New York Historical Markers

989 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 789
 
Brooklyn Municipal Building image, Touch for more information
By Larry Gertner, May 3, 2019
Brooklyn Municipal Building
New York (Kings County), New York — Brooklyn Municipal Building“Landmarks of New York”
McKenzie, Voorhees and Gmelin designed this structure in a modified Roman Eclectic style. The interior marble was quarried in Tennessee and Vermont, the granite for its base in Deer Island, Maine, and most of its limestone façade in Indiana. This . . . — Map (db m134760) HM
New York (Kings County), New York — Castle Williams
With walls forty feet high and eight feet thick, this red sandstone bastion bristled with over one hundred cannon when it was completed in 1811. Named after its designer, Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Williams, it has also been nicknamed the . . . — Map (db m24329) HM
New York (Kings County), New York — Cornelius Heeney1754-1848
Irish immigrant – devote (sic) Catholic-American patriot coming in poverty – raising by industry Generous with the orphans and widows Donated his land at 5th Ave. for the erection of St. Patrick’s Cathedral. In 1835 the church of St. . . . — Map (db m133402) HM
New York (Kings County), New York — Cornerstone of the Statue of Liberty Pedestal
At this site on August 5, 1884, the cornerstone of the pedestal of the Statue of “Liberty Enlightening the World” was laid with ceremony by William A. Brodie, Grand Master of Masons in the State of New York. Grand lodge members, . . . — Map (db m54920) HM
New York (Kings County), New York — Early North American Colonist Remains
Beneath this site lie the remains of seven individuals believed to be early North American born colonists. The remains dated to the late Eighteenth to early Nineteenth Century were discovered approximately 100 feet Southwest of here during . . . — Map (db m24331) HM
New York (New York County), New York — "Curbstone Brokers"
For more than a century, the outdoor brokers, predecessors of the American Stock Exchange, conducted a marketplace on the curbstones of the Financial District, serving investors and aiding the nation’s industrial growth. They moved indoors on June . . . — Map (db m127678) HM
New York (New York County), New York — "I'm Not A Nice Girl"103 Bowery
You are standing at the former site of the Blossom Restaurant and barber shop shown in Berenice Abbott’s iconic Depression era photograph, one of several Bowery images in her influential Changing New York series. An Ohio born expatriate . . . — Map (db m132413) HM
New York (New York County), New York — "Sankofa"African Burial Ground National Monument
On the marker is the Adinkra symbol, "Sankofa" - a symbol for the importance of learning from the pastr For all those who were lost,         For all those who were stolen, For all those who were left behind,         For all those . . . — Map (db m129965) HM
New York (New York County), New York — "The Kneeling Fireman"
In commemoration of the 10th Anniversary of 9/11/01, the Milstein Family and Emigrant Bank have dedicated this site to display “The Kneeling Fireman” statue which harkens back to the events of that fateful day. The statue was . . . — Map (db m60530) HM
New York (New York County), New York — "The Writers' Room"
“The Writers' Room” Here at City Center, Your Show of Shows came to life each week. Sid Caesar, Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Neil Simon, Howard Morris, Mel Tolkin, Lucille Kallen, Tony Webster, Joe Stein, Danny Simon, Max Liebman, and . . . — Map (db m129821) HM
New York (New York County), New York — “A Carnival Of Debauchery!”Owney Geoghegan’s Boxing Saloon — 105 Bowery —
You are standing in front of what was once George Geoghegan’s Saloon, NYC’s most notorious bare knuckle boxing saloon. An Irish-born street-slugger-turned-professional boxer, Geoghegan (pronounced gay-gen), used his fame and earnings from the . . . — Map (db m132463) HM
New York (New York County), New York — “Big Tim” Sullivan’s Clubhouse75,000 Line Street For “King Of The Bowery” — 207 Bowery —
In the 1890, this address was headquarters of Tammany Hall’s 3rd Assembly District, headed by “Big Tim” Sullivan – a Five Points-born political powerhouse who dominated NYC politics from 1890 to 1913. Master at swaying public . . . — Map (db m133644) HM
New York (New York County), New York — “I Absolve You”
In this very unique sculpture by Christian Master Sculptor, Timothy P. Schmalz, Padre Pio is seated on one side of the crucifix, which also serves as a confessional, with his hand raised in absolution. On the penitent’s side of the confessional . . . — Map (db m133733)
New York (New York County), New York — “New York of the Presidents”Ulysses S. Grant — April 27, 1822 – July 23, 1885 —
Eighteenth President of the United States, 1869-77 General-in-Chief, Commanding the Armies of the United States, 1864-69 First General in the United States Army, 1866 Lived in a house on this site from 1881 to 1885. Here he spent his . . . — Map (db m133763) HM
New York (New York County), New York — “North America” sculpted by Daniel Chester French
In “North America”, one of the four monumental sculptures called “The Continents” a Plains Indian looks over the shoulder of America. As illustrated by the surrounding detail photographs, French acknowledged the . . . — Map (db m131234) HM
New York (New York County), New York — “The Tombs” – A Mausoleum for the Living
On this site in 1838, the first prison of NYC to bear The Tombs nickname was built. The design, by John Haviland, was based on an engraving of an ancient Egyptian mausoleum. While regarded by some as a notable example of Egyptian Revival . . . — Map (db m131755) HM
New York (New York County), New York — ...to Manhattan
…to Manhattan Native people from many tribal nations have long come to Manhattan as visitors and workers, artists and diplomats. Many of the city’s skyscrapers were constructed with the assistance of Mohawk steel workers looking down on a city . . . — Map (db m130585) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Peking1911
Peking was launched in 1911 at Hamburg, Germany by the Blohm & Voss shipyard. She was owned by the F. Laeisz Company of that port, who used here to carry fuel and manufactured goods to the West Coast of South America, around Cape Horn, and . . . — Map (db m132475) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Pirates of Penzance Composition Site
On this site Sir Arthur Sullivan composed "The Pirates of Penzance" during 1879 — Map (db m98974) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Sidewalks Of New York Premieres On Bowery!The London — 235 Bowery —
The New Museum is the former site of the London Theatre, where in 1894 Lotte Gilson (“The Little Magnet”) first sang “The Sidewalks of New York,” an iconic song that encapsulated the feel of Manhattan’s working class . . . — Map (db m133318) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Wavertree1885
Wavertree was built at Southampton, England in 1885 for R.W. Leyland & Company of Liverpool. She was first employed to carry jute, used in making rope and burlap bags, between eastern India (now Bangladesh) and Scotland. When less than two . . . — Map (db m59992) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 1 Wall Street / 14 Wall StreetExploring Downtown
1 Wall Street On one of the world’s most expensive corners – 1 Wall Street and Broadway – architect Ralph Walker conceived his zig-zag Art Deco skyscraper for the Irving Trust Company as a “curtain wall” – not the . . . — Map (db m127670) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 100 Old Slip - New York City Police Museum
100 Old Slip was designed by the notable architectural firm of Hunt & Hunt in the New-Italian Renaissance style. Its visual power is created by a rhythmic series of tall arches, heavy rusticated walls and restrained ornamentation. The building's . . . — Map (db m21510) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 100 Year-Old Sycamore
This stump is all that remains of a 100 year-old Sycamore that once stood in the northwest corner of St. Paul's churchyard. The tree was toppled on September 11th, 2001, when the collapse of the World Trade Center sent tons of debris hurtling . . . — Map (db m31906) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 1025 Park Avenue
This elegant house was completed in 1912 by John Russell Pope in the style of an early 17th Century Jacobean Manor for the well-known composer of light opera and popular music, Reginald DeKoven, and his wife, Anna. DeKoven composed the light opera . . . — Map (db m98655) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 109 Prince Street
Designed in the French Renaissance style by J. Morgan Slade and built in 1882 by Architectural Iron Works, Cheney & Hewlett, 109 Prince Street had been described as one of the most sparkling gems of 19th Century cast iron architecture in the world. . . . — Map (db m137671) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 116 East 55th StreetNew York City Designated Landmark
116 East 55th Street New York City Designated Landmark Designed by architect William L. Bottomley in the Neo-Georgian style and built in 1926-27, 116 East 55th Street, has an unusually wide, well-preserved four-and-a-half story façade that . . . — Map (db m129627) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 13 South William Street
Listed on the National Historic Register, this building was built in 1837-1839. In 1903 architect C.P.H. Gilbert converted it into its current Neo-Dutch Renaissance style. Today the building is home to America's oldest . . . — Map (db m129073) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 130 West 30th Street
Cass Gilbert, noted architect of the Woolworth Building, designed this eighteen-story loft building in 1927-28. Terra-cotta reliefs of winged guardian figures, horse-drawn chariots, and three dimensional lions were inspired by ancient Assyrian . . . — Map (db m133933) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 130 West 57th Street
Constructed as a cooperative for artists in 1907, 130 West 57th Street was designed by the firm of Pollard and Steinman. This landmark is a rare surviving example of studio building architecture and a reminder of the early 20th Century when West . . . — Map (db m22335) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 131 East 66th StreetThe Studio Building
This striking Italian Renaissance-inspired studio building was constructed 1905-06 as a cooperative apartment house. Designed by Charles A. Platt, who resided here from 1906 until his death in 1933. The building expresses the architect's highly . . . — Map (db m22313) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 13-15 West 54th Street HousesNew York City Designated Landmark
13-15 West 54th Street Houses New York City Designated Landmark This pair of town houses was built in 1896-97 for William Murray, a New York businessman, designed in a Renaissance-inspired style by Henry J. Hardenbergh, the houses are a fine . . . — Map (db m129776) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 134 Charles Street
The lower two stories of this factory structure were built in 1911-12 to the design of Van Vleck & Goldsmith for the American Railway Supply Co., a brass tags manufacturing firm. The company was located in this building until at least 1945. . . . — Map (db m125987) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 140 Years Of Help And HopeThe Bowery Mission — 227-229 Bowery —
Established in 1879 by Reverend and Mrs. A.G. Ruliffson, the Bowery Mission was located at 14, 36, 55 and 105 Bowery before moving to 227 Bowery in 1909, an event heralded by a visit and speech by President Taft. For nearly 140 years, it has . . . — Map (db m133150) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 143 Spring Street
This Federal house, originally owned by Josiah Purdy, dates from 1818 and was restored in 2010. Initially a dwelling, it is an excellent example of Soho’s early period and of a building undergoing substantial changes in use and occupancy throughout . . . — Map (db m140112) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 163-165 West 57th StreetNew York City Designated Landmark
Constructed in 1916 and designed by architects George A. & Henry Boehm, this building was built for the Louis H. Champ Normal School of Dancing. The asymmetrical facade of this five-storey structure has motifs inspired by the Italian Renaissance and . . . — Map (db m111018) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 17 West 16th Street / Margaret Sanger ClinicNew York City Designated Landmark
17 West 16th Street Built in 1846 by architect Edward Mesier, the bowed front of this building is more typical of row houses found in Boston, rather than New York. The Greek revival doorway and its eared architrave, frieze egg and dart . . . — Map (db m127448) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 170-6 John Street, 86 South StreetNew York City Landmark Building
One of the finest and most impressive structures in the South Street Seaport Historic District, this stately building, a designated New York City Landmark, was erected in 1840 for Hickson W. Field, a commission merchant. Unlike the other Greek . . . — Map (db m128244) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 175th Anniversary of Greek Independence
55’ Flag Pole donated to the City of New York by the Federation of Hellenic Societies of Greater New York on behalf of the Greek American community, in celebration of the 175th Anniversary of Greek Independence, and the 100th Anniversary of the . . . — Map (db m47317) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 1941 · Honor Roll · 1945Baggage Dept., Pennsylvania Station, N.Y.
In honor of the men from this department who served their country in the Armed Forces of the United States during World War II and in lasting tribute to the ten who gave their lives in the service of their country. Carey, Richard F. • Crowley, . . . — Map (db m6135) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 195 Broadway
Built in 1923 as the headquarters for American Telephone and Telegraph William Welles Bosworth, Architect — Map (db m128464) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 200 Years & Counting206-8 Bowery
Remarkably surviving for over 200 years, 206 Bowery is one of the few row houses on the Bowery that still retains most of its Federal style characteristics, including its 2 ½-story height, 3-bay width, gambrel roof and pair of gable dormers. . . . — Map (db m133618) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 200th Anniversary of the Construction of City Hall
The first stone of this building was laid on May 26, 1803 by order of the Common Council John McComb, Jr., Architect Joseph Francois Mangin, Architect Edward Livingston, Mayor 200th Anniversary of the Construction of City Hall November . . . — Map (db m130436) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 203 Front StreetBuilt 1815, Remodeled 1882-83
Built for a grocer a few years after nearby Schermerhorn Row, No. 203 was – with its neighbor No. 204 – extensively remodeled in the 1880s to become a waterfront hotel, one of the many scattered throughout the district that catered to . . . — Map (db m128242) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 203 Prince Street
This handsome house is situated on land once owned by Aaron Burr. It was built in 1833-34 by John P. Haff, a prosperous leather inspector. The building is characteristic of many which once were located in this area, a residential section of the City . . . — Map (db m37071) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 206 Front StreetBuilt 1780s, Remodeled 1880
Built in the late 1790s remodeled a century later, No. 206 Front Street was the location of the Howell family businesses for well over 100 years. It first served as a grocery, providing staples such as flour, sugar, and spirits to customers who . . . — Map (db m128243) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 207 - 211 Water StreetBuilt 1835–1836
These three brick Greek Revival-style stores, built together for different owners, display classic details of the period: granite steps, cornice, and piers and lintels in its trabeated storefront. The brick is laid up in Flemish bond, a style whose . . . — Map (db m21151) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 213 West 58th Street
NYC Designated Landmark 213 West 58th Street This elegant French Renaissance style stable was constructed in 1902-03, reminiscent of the early 17th century town houses that line the Places des Vosges in Paris. An early work by noted architects . . . — Map (db m129596) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 21st Century Fashion In A 21st Century House306 Bowery
Protected within the NoHo Historic District, this nearly-200-year-old Federal-style house, together with 308-310, was built about 1820 for the Lorillard family as an investment property. The building retains its original Flemish bond brickwork, . . . — Map (db m136745) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 23 Park Avenue
This McKim, Mead, and White residence, completed c. 1891, was commissioned by James Hampden Robb (1846-1911), former cotton broker, New York State Assemblyman and Senator (1882-85), and Commissioner of the Parks Department (1887-90). Designed in the . . . — Map (db m42016) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 230 Park AvenueDesignated Landmark New York City
Designed by architects Warren & Wetmore, 230 Park Avenue was built in 1927-29 as the New York Central Building, sitting astride Park Avenue just north of Grand Central Terminal. The building’s honeycombed base and slender tower dominate the street . . . — Map (db m137743) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 246 West End Avenue
Built in 1913, 246 West End Avenue is one of only two buildings designed on the Upper West Side by the acclaimed architect James E.R. Carpenter, recognized as the creator of the “modern” apartment. Designed in an amplified Renaissance . . . — Map (db m127440) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 26 BroadwayLandmarks of New York
Under construction from 1920 to 1928, the corporate headquarters for John D. Rockefeller’s Standard Oil Company was built on one of the largest parcels assembled in Manhattan at the time. The architectural firm of Carrere & Hastings, along with . . . — Map (db m127461) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 27 Christopher Street
Top Plaque 1911 Constructed as the Margaret and Sarah Switzer Institute for Vocational Training of Women 1926 Purchased by St. Joseph's Parish for elementary school 1977 Site of the School of Nursing of St. Vincent's Hospital and . . . — Map (db m55482) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 27 Cooper Sq.Bowery Arts & Beats
You are standing in front of an 1844 townhouse which was converted in the 1960s from a cold-water flop to home and gathering place for a newly developing, inclusive avant-garde. Poets Amiri Bakara and Hetty Jones hosted writers, painters, . . . — Map (db m132312) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 27 Cooper Square
In the 1960’s, this 1845 former rooming house became a laboratory for artistic, literary and political currents. Writers LeRoi Jones (later Amiri Baraka) and Hettie Jones, their Yugen magazine and Toten Press, musician Archie Shepp and painter . . . — Map (db m131766) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 28 Liberty28 Liberty (formerly 1 Chase Manhattan Plaza), Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, architects, 1956-60 — Exploring Lower Manhattan —
Back in the 1950s, while other banks were deserting Downtown for Midtown, Chase Manhattan Bank commissioned this majestic, 60-story, steel-and-glass tower-in-a-plaza. The new skyscraper, rising on a superblock assembled from tiny parcels of land . . . — Map (db m128465) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 307th Infantry AEF
To the dead of the 307th Infantry Regiment AEF 590 officers and men 1917-1919 — Map (db m108299) WM
New York (New York County), New York — 31 Harrison Street
This Federal period house stands on land which was originally a part of the well-known farm of Annetje Jans, granted to her by Director General Van Twiller in 1636. After 1765, the Harrison Brewery occupied the land, hence the name Harrison Street. . . . — Map (db m50721) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 33 Liberty Street
This building erected 1922 occupies part of the farm leased prior to 1658 and granted in 1644 by the Dutch West India Company to Jan Jansen Damen. Of the bounding streets Maiden Lane was called the Dutch Maegde Paetje. Nassau Street was named for . . . — Map (db m129074) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 36 Commerce Street
This three-story brick house was built in 1841 for Alexander McLachlan, the owner of a brewery at No. 38 on land originally part of the Hendricks-Gomez property. In the 1920’s, when the brewery became the Cherry Lane Theater, this house was part of . . . — Map (db m57186) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 376-380 Lafayette StreetNew York Designated Landmark
This six-story building, erected in 1888 for William C. Schermerhorn, is one of New York’s outstanding manufacturing structures of the period. It demonstrated that a utilitarian building could have real artistic merit and need not be devoid of . . . — Map (db m105674) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 38 Commerce Street
In 1924 Edna St. Vincent Millay and a group of theatre artists converted a box factory into what would become the Cherry Lane Theatre. Through the years, it has become a showcase for the early works of Edward Albee, Lanford Wilson, Harold Pinter, . . . — Map (db m57184) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 4 Patchin Place / e.e. cummings
4 Patchin Place One-time home of “PoetandPainter” e.e. cummings (d. 1962) and his wife, model and photographer Marion Morehouse (d.1969) “-- do lovers love? why then to heaven with hell. Whatever sages say and fools, all’s . . . — Map (db m57163) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 40 Wall Street
Built in 1929-30 as the Manhattan Company Building, this pictureseque 927 foot tall skyscraper was planned as the world's tallest building. Crowned by a pyramidal roof and French Gothic spire, it remains an imposing presence on the lower Manhattan . . . — Map (db m54504) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 44 West 12th Street
No. 44 is one of six row houses, Nos. 34-44, designed in the Late Italianate style and built in 1860 by Frederick P. James. They replaced an earlier row which had been built in 1844, When erected, these four-story houses were identical and were . . . — Map (db m141184) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 45 East 66th StreetNew York City Designated Landmark
Designed by Harde & Short, this striking building, with its distinctive rounded corner bay, is an impressive reminder of the grand era of New York's early luxury apartment houses. Constructed in 1906-08 of brick and terra cotta, with a profusion of . . . — Map (db m132669) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 48 Wall Street / 40 Wall Street Exploring Downtown
< 48 Wall Street Side > Museum of American Finance What more appropriate home for the Museum of American Finance than the grand, 30-foot-high banking hall of the former Bank of New York building? The museum – an affiliate of the . . . — Map (db m24306) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 48 West 12th Street
No. 48 is one of three handsome Anglo-Italianate houses, Nos. 48-52, built in 1854 for Frederick P. James, of the Wall Street firm, F.P. James & Co. The four-story houses are smooth-stuccoed to simulate brownstone with front door enframements, . . . — Map (db m141185) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 55 Wall StreetNew York City Designated Landmark
55 Wall Street was designed by prominent Boston Architect Isaiah Rogers and constructed between 1836 and 1842. The façade of the original four-story, Greek Revival style building features twelve massive Ionic columns, each a single block of . . . — Map (db m127626) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 55 Wall Street/20 Exchange Place
55 Wall Street Isiah Rogers, architect, `1836-14; McKim, Mead and White, addition, 1910 The enormous Ionic columns supporting the lower level of the Merchant’s Exchange at 55 Wall Street, each cut from a single piece of stone and . . . — Map (db m127627) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 55 White Street
1861 Commissioned by John and Samuel Condict for their saddlery business. Cast iron by Daniel D. Badger’s Architectural Iron Works. Architects: John Kellum & Son — Map (db m131456) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 57 Stone Street
Listed on the NATIONAL HISTORIC REGISTER this building was completed in 1837-1839. In 1903 architect C.P.H. Gilbert converted it into its current Neo-Dutch Renaissance style. Today the building is home to America’s oldest security agency in . . . — Map (db m127549) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 570 Lexington AvenueNew York City Designated Landmark
Designed by the renowned architectural firm of Cross & Cross, this 1929-1931 Art Deco Building is one of the most expressive skyscrapers of its era. It was constructed as the headquarters for the RCA Corporation but was deeded to the General . . . — Map (db m127430) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 7 West 54th Street HouseNew York City Designated Landmark
Prominent Banker Philip Lehman, a son of the founder of the Lehman Brothers banking firm, commissioned this elegant Beaux-Arts town house in 1899-1900 at a time when this area of Manhattan was transforming into a fashionable neighborhood. . . . — Map (db m129641) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 70 Bedford StreetLandmark New York
About 1807 this house was built by John P. Broome, sailmaker and “crier of the courts of Oyer and Terminer and Gaol delivery and of the general session of the peace.” Although altered over the years, the original brickwork and wood beams . . . — Map (db m57188) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Manila Bay
This monument erected on Admiral George Dewey Promenade to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Manila Bay May 1, 1898 United Spanish War Veterans Naval Academy Association of New York Sons of the Revolution in the . . . — Map (db m127046) WM
New York (New York County), New York — 80 Washington PlaceNew York City Historic District
"This house and the adjoining house at No. 78 were constructed as a pair in 1839 by builder William W. Berwick, who lived at No. 78, owned both houses until 1852. Both were designed in the Greek Revival style of the period. The upper story and . . . — Map (db m106261) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 82 Jane Street
Site of the William Bayard House Where Alexander Hamilton, first Secretary of the Treasury, died after his duel with Aaron Burr July 12, 1804 This historic location holding traditions of the city and the nation, is thus permanently marked by . . . — Map (db m22099) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 85 Leonard StreetNew York City Designated Landmark
Built in 1861, this building is significant as the only remaining cast-iron building façade in the city attributable to James Bogardus, the self-described “inventor of the cast-iron building”. Typically, the cast-iron façade was . . . — Map (db m131826) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 85 West Third Street (Originally Amity Street)
In 1845-46, Edgar Allan Poe resided near this site in a house built in 1835 for Judah Hammond. It was here that Poe wrote “The facts in the case of M. Valdemar”, “The Sphinx”’ and began “The Cask of Amontillado”’ . . . — Map (db m139904) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 9/11 CrossA Symbol of Hope
9/11 Cross A Symbol of Hope Out of the rubble of New York City’s Twin Towers on that fateful 9/11 morning emerged a symbol of hope: a perfectly proportioned cross formed from the steel girders of the previously standing twin towers. The . . . — Map (db m130058) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 90-94 Maiden LaneNew York City Designated Landmark
Long associated with the Roosevelt family, which had a store at 94 Maiden Lane as early as 1796, this structure, designed by Charles Wright, incorporates a mercantile building erected for James Roosevelt around 1810. It was renovated and given a . . . — Map (db m128415) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 9-11 West 54th StreetNew York Landmarks Conservancy
These two buildings, which share a fine Georgian façade, were designed in 1896 by McKim Mead and White for the James Goodwin family, who occupied the residence from 1898 to 1944. The ownership of the building changed hands in 1945, and it became . . . — Map (db m129682) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 93 Grand StreetNew York City Designated Landmark
Designed in 1868 by John Snook, known for designing the St. Nicholas Hotel and the First Grand Central Station Built by the J.L. Jackson and Brother Foundry using thin rectangular plates of iron grooved to look like pieces of stone laid up with . . . — Map (db m137403) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 97 Orchard Street
Built in 1863-64 by Lucas Glockner, a German-born tailor, 97 Orchard Street is typical of the earliest form of tenement house constructed in New York. For millions of immigrants from scores of nations, this tenement and others like it was a place of . . . — Map (db m16540) HM
New York (New York County), New York — A Bowery FlopFor 5 Cents A Night — 219-21 Bowery —
By 1890, it was estimated that 9,000 homeless men, many of them alcoholics or gambling addicts, found lodging in Bowery flophouses. Accommodations could be a person-sized spot to flop on a wooden floor in a large open ward for 5 cents or a wooden . . . — Map (db m133762) HM
New York (New York County), New York — A Field Guide of New York Harbor/The Age of Sail
A Field Guide of New York Harbor New York Harbor extends from its dramatic gateway at The Narrows, a turbulent channel separating Staten Island from Brooklyn, to the Battery at Manhattan’s southern-most tip. One of the world’s great natural . . . — Map (db m134149) HM
New York (New York County), New York — A Floating Metropolis/Sailings, Sightings and Special Events
Left: A Floating Metropolis A plan to create a new residential and commercial neighborhood on the site of the decaying Hudson River piers was first proposed in the early 1960s. Battery Park City is a remarkable technological achievement. To . . . — Map (db m134088) HM
New York (New York County), New York — A Historic Landmark
A Historic Landmark Opened in 1796 by the Episcopal Parish of Trinity Church, St. Paul’s Chapel is the oldest public building in continuous and the only remaining Colonial-era church in Manhattan. In 1789 George Washington prayed at St. Paul’s . . . — Map (db m129507) HM
New York (New York County), New York — A Place Of Many Names
A Place of Many Names New York City has been known by many names among native people. It was Kanonoge, “place of reeds,” to Mohawk people living up the Hudson River. It was Menatay (island) to the Delaware people. Algonquin-speaking . . . — Map (db m131210) HM
New York (New York County), New York — A Tower Of MusicCarl Fischer Music Publishers — 56-62 Cooper Sq. —
For over seventy-five years, this building housed the administrative offices, a spacious retail store and presses that printed millions of copies of Sheet music distributed world-wide. In 1872, German-born Carl Fischer (1849-1923) opened a musical . . . — Map (db m136743) HM
New York (New York County), New York — A View From the Road
This path marks the route of the Kingsbridge Road, also known as the Eastern Post Road. This was the main road through Manhattan in the 1700s and early 1800s, before the current street grid was implemented, and was key to transportation in the area. . . . — Map (db m96070) HM
New York (New York County), New York — A. Philip Randolph Square.074 Acre
"The idea of separatism is harkening to the past and it is undesirable even if it could be realized, because the progress of mankind has been based upon ... social, intellectual and cultural contact." —A. Philip Randolph, 1969 Asa Philip . . . — Map (db m105314) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Abingdon Square DoughboyAbingdon Square Park
As its faded inscription reads, this sculpture was "erected by popular subscription in honor of the brave men who went forth from this neighborhood to join the Armed Forces of the United States during the World War.” The dramatic bronze . . . — Map (db m135125) HM WM
New York (New York County), New York — Abraham De Peyster StatueThomas Paine Park
Abraham De Peyster Statue Thomas Paine Park This impressive bronze statue, created by American sculptor George Edwin Bissell (1839-1920), depicts mayor Abraham De Peyster (1657-1728). Born in New Amsterdam (now known as . . . — Map (db m128530) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Abraham Lincoln StatueUnion Square Park
One of three sculptural renditions of Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) in New York City’s parks, this larger-than-life bronze by Henry Kirke Brown (1814-1886) stands vigil on a busy crossroads at the north end of Union Square Park. Abraham Lincoln was . . . — Map (db m41271) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Abyssinian 200 1808-2008
Abyssinian 200 1808-2008 The Bicentennial Celebration of The Abyssinian Baptist Church From 1808-1854, 40 Worth Street was the first location of The Abyssian Baptist Church, the oldest African American Baptist church in New York State. — Map (db m131080) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Academy of Music Site
Upon This Site Stood The Original Academy of Music Erected 1852 Tony Pastor's Theatre Opened 1881 — Map (db m127439) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Ada Louise HuxtableMarch 14, 1921 – January 7, 2013 — 969 Park Avenue, Manhattan —
A pioneering critic who made architecture part of the public discourse, Ada Louise Huxtable was the first full-time architect critic on any American newspaper when named to that position at The New York Times in 1963. In 1970, she was awarded the . . . — Map (db m98593) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.
1908 Born November 29, in New Haven, Connecticut.

1930 Received his BA from Colgate University, Hamilton, NY. Became assistant pastor at Harlem's Abyssinian Baptist Church.

1932 Received his MA in Religious Education from Columbia . . . — Map (db m112429) HM

New York (New York County), New York — Adriaen van der Donck’s HomeBirth of a City: Nieuw Amsterdam & Old New York
ADRIAEN VAN DER DONCK’S HOME Location:   Marketfield Street at Broad Street Dutch Name:   Het Marckvelt Steegie In a house that stood a few feet from here lived lawyer Adriaen van der Donck (c. 1620 - c. 1655), author of the . . . — Map (db m127313) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Adrian Block Commemorative Tablet
This tablet marks the site of the first habitations of white men on the island of Manhattan. Adrian Block commander of the Tiger erected here four houses or huts after his vessel was burned November 1613. He built the Restless, the first vessel . . . — Map (db m127571) HM
New York (New York County), New York — African Burial GroundExploring Downtown
The African Burial Ground was active until 1794. Within an area of not quite six acres, perhaps as many as 20,000 people were interred, mostly free or enslaved Africans. During the 18th century, one in ten residents of New York was of African . . . — Map (db m129982) HM
New York (New York County), New York — African Burial Ground National MonumentA Place of Remembrance — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
A Place of Remembrance-(left side of the marker) From the 1690s until 1794, an estimated 15,000 enslaved and free Africans were laid to rest in the African Burial Ground. In 1991, during construction of the Ted Weiss Federal Building, 419 human . . . — Map (db m129986) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Africans in Early New York
Africans were brought to the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam from different regions with diverse cultures, religions, and languages. In 1664 the British captured New Amsterdam and renamed it New York. Before the American Revolution, New York had . . . — Map (db m129983) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Al Hirschfeld1903 - 2003 — 20th Century Master of Caricature • Residence and Studio —
In more than 10,000 drawings, Hirschfeld chronicled the celebrity culture of the century. A self-described "characterist," his linear calligraphic work of performers, on stage and screen, appeared in virtually every publication, including a 75 year . . . — Map (db m98591) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Albert Gallatin1761-1849 — Swiss-born American statesman —
Gallatin served in Congress and as fourth Secretary of the Treasury under both Jefferson and Madison. He was also a diplomat, a founder of New York University and the American Ethnological Society, and president of the New York Historical . . . — Map (db m127059) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alexander Hamilton1757-1804
Alexander Hamilton 1757-1804 First Secretary of the Treasury Hamilton founded The Bank of New York and the U.S. Mint, was one of the framers of the Constitution, and his image appears on the U.S. ten dollar bill. He died famously as a result . . . — Map (db m125850) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House / National Museum of the American IndianExploring Downtown
Before the income tax was invented, the duty levied on imported goods financed almost the entire cost of America’s federal government – and as much as 80 per cent of that duty came through the Port of New York, making the New York Custom House . . . — Map (db m20278) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alexander Hamilton's HouseThe New Home of the Hamilton-Grange — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
The New Home of the Hamilton-Grange. Alexander Hamilton’s house, named “The Grange” after his family’s ancestral home in Scotland, was moved from its original site on W. 143rd Street to 287 Convent Avenue in 1889. Studies have been . . . — Map (db m62336) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alexander Lyman Holley
Born in Lakeville, Conn.,   July 20th 1832 Died in Brooklyn, N.Y.,   January 29th 1882 In honor of Alexander Lyman Holley, foremost among those whose genius and energy established in America and improved throughout the world the manufacture of . . . — Map (db m41359) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alexander’s MuseeAmerica’s First Great Black Comedian – Billy Kersands — 317 Bowery —
You are standing at the former site of Alexander’s Musee, a popular dime museum that in 1886 presented the singer/dancer/acrobat/musician/comedian Billy Kersands, the first African American performer to achieve nationwide popularity with White as . . . — Map (db m136924) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alfred E. Smith House
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States. — Map (db m31144) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alfred Sprague Bard
Alfred Sprague Bard December 19, 1866 – March 25, 1963 25 Broad Street, originally the Broad Street Exchange Building For over 60 years, from 1901 to 1963, Albert S. Bard practiced law and pursued his civic activities from his office . . . — Map (db m127429) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Algonquin Hotel
The Algonquin Hotel, which opened its doors in 1902, is best known as the home of the famed Round Table, a group of writers and critics who met for lunch and stimulating converstation during the 1920s. The hotel's cultural associations, nurtured by . . . — Map (db m7968) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Allen Ginsberg1926-1997
Internationally acclaimed poet and Member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters lived here from August 1958 to March 1961. His signal poem Howl (1956) helped launch The Beat Generation. Kaddish (1961), a . . . — Map (db m105140) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alwyn Court Apartments
This richly ornamented apartment house, built in 1907-1909, is unique in the city. The architects, Harde & Short, took full advantage of the economies of terra cotta, a material then much in vogue. A single mold could be used time and again for . . . — Map (db m14050) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alwyn Court Apartments
This richly ornamented apartment house, built in 1907-1909, is unique in the city. The architects, Harde & Short, took full advantage of the economies of terra cotta, a material then much in vogue. A single mold could be used time and again for . . . — Map (db m56931) HM
New York (New York County), New York — American Academy of Dramatic ArtsLandmarks of New York
Constructed in 1907, this was the original home of the Colony Club. Stanford White was the architect and Elsie De Wolfe the interior decorator. In 1963, the building was acquired by the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, founded in 1884 by . . . — Map (db m127451) HM
New York (New York County), New York — American Jewish Tercentenary1654-1954
Erected by the State of New York to honor the memory of the twenty three men women & children who landed in September 1654 and founded the first Jewish community in North America American Jewish Tercentenary 1654-1954 — Map (db m127855) HM
New York (New York County), New York — American Merchant Marine
This tablet dedicated to the memory of the men of the American Merchant Marine who gave their lives in the World War that liberty should perpetually endure. “These men rendered one of the greatest services that could have been done for our . . . — Map (db m20289) HM
New York (New York County), New York — American Merchant Mariners' Memorial
Dedicated to all merchant mariners who have served America from the Revolutionary War through present day. In the prosecution of war and in pursuit of peaceful commerce, unrecognized thousands have lost their lives at sea. Their sacrifices have . . . — Map (db m29281) HM
New York (New York County), New York — American Redoubt
American Redoubt 1776 Washington Chapter DAR 1910 — Map (db m41568) HM
New York (New York County), New York — American Society of Heating and Ventilation EngineersCentennial: 1894-95 - 1994-95
On this site, where stood the Broadway Central Hotel, the American Society of Heating and Ventilation Engineers was founded on September 10, 1894, to advance the proper heating and ventilation of all classes of buildings through improvements to the . . . — Map (db m106462) HM
New York (New York County), New York — American Stock ExchangeExploring Lower Manhattan — 86 Trinity Place, Starret & Van Vleck, architects, 1921, 1930 —
American Stock Exchange Building Exploring Lower Manhattan 86 Trinity Place, Starret & Van Vleck, architects, 1921, 1930 The American Stock Exchange traced its roots to the late 1790s. Throughout the 1800s, ambitious businessmen gathered on . . . — Map (db m127834) HM
New York (New York County), New York — American-Standard BuildingLandmarks of New York
Raymond M. Hood’s use of black brick, trimmed with golden colored stone, in the design of this building, is an early instance of vivid coloration on the surface of a skyscraper. Construction was completed in 1924 for the American Radiator . . . — Map (db m127457) HM
New York (New York County), New York — America's Response Monument“De Oppresso Liber” — (Liberate The Oppressed) —
Within hours of the cowardly attacks of September 11, 2001, America’s Special Operations Forces were called to action, formulating an unconventional warfare response to the acts of terror inflicted on our country. Not since the patriots’ actions . . . — Map (db m129851) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Ancient Order of Hibernians1936 1936
Ancient Order of Hibernians 1836 1936 Friendship Unity and Christian Charity Near this Church of St. James in 1836 the first division of the Ancient Order of Hibernians in America was organized by authority of a charter sent from Ireland . . . — Map (db m124812) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Ancient Order of Hibernians1836 – 1936
Erected to the memory of members of the Ancient Order of Hibernians of the City of New York who like their Irish fathers of old were ready to sacrifice their lives for religious freedom and the right to worship God as their conscience dictated and . . . — Map (db m133594) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Andries Rees’s TavernBirth of a City: Nieuw Amsterdam & Old New York
ANDRIES REES’S TAVERN Location:   William Street and Wall Street Dutch Name:   Smit Straet Here, in 1660, Andries Rees ran a tavern serving his fellow colonists. Taverns were lively centers of social life in the Netherlands, and Dutch . . . — Map (db m127522) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Andy Warhol1928 - 1987
The Pop artist best known for his silkscreens of cultural icons, including Jackie Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe, Chairman Mao, and Campbell's Soup cans, lived here from 1974 to 1987. The founder of Interview magazine and producer of underground films such . . . — Map (db m98636) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Angelica Schuyler Church1756-1814 — Sister-in-law to Alexander Hamilton —
Angelica Schuyler Church 1756-1814 Sister-in-law to Alexander Hamilton Wife of British member of Parliament and businessman John Barker Church. Intelligent and socially active, Angelica Church befriended and corresponded regularly with . . . — Map (db m127052) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Anne KleinFashion Walk of Fame
The work of Anne Klein epitomized the ease and comfort associated with Post War American sportswear. She was instrumental in the development and popularization of coordinated separates for both day and evening. These separates, such as body suits . . . — Map (db m57051) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Anti-Slavery Work In Federal Era Houses134-136 Bowery
The twin Federal-era houses at 144/136 Bowery are linked to the Underground Railroad and Abolitionist Movement preceding the Civil War. Among the oldest structures in Manhattan, they were built by the Delaplaine family, with 134 built in the . . . — Map (db m132510) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Appellate Division of the Supreme CourtDesignated Landmark, New York City
This building houses the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York for the First Judicial Department, which hears appeals in civil and criminal cases from New York and Bronx Counties. Designs for the courthouse by James Brown . . . — Map (db m57056) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Archaeological Discovery/Making Land
Right: Archaeological Discovery While excavating to build Imagination Playground, archeologists uncovered buried wharfs. Codswise’s Wharf, along John Street, was built between 1803 and 1807 by George Codwise Jr., a prominent New York merchant. . . . — Map (db m134366) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Place
October 7, 1980 Mayor Edward Koch proclaimed East 43rd Street between Lexington & Third Aves. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Place — Map (db m142596) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Arthur Brisbane1864 - 1936
American Editor and Patriot He spread before all a panorama of the events of his times • He was the champion of work and peace before all mankind • He gave to the people a clear understanding of the history of all the ages • He imparted to . . . — Map (db m98623) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Artists' Gate
This entrance, named Artists’ Gate in 1862, was redesigned in 1951 by landscape architect Gilmore D. Clarke as the City’s tribute to the Avenue of the Americas. In 1996 the plaza was restored by the Central Park Conservancy in partnership with . . . — Map (db m108141) HM
New York (New York County), New York — ASHRAE Centennial 1894-95 – 1994-95
On this site, where stood the Broadway central Hotel, the American Society of Heating and Ventilation Engineers was founded on September 10, 1894 to advance the proper heating and ventilation of all classes of buildings through improvements to the . . . — Map (db m104214) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Asser Levy’s HomeBirth of a City: Nieuw Amsterdam & Old New York
ASSER LEVY’S HOME Location:   Stone Street at Mill Lane Dutch Name:   Hoogh Straet (High Street) In a house on this site lived the Jewish trader and butcher Asser Levy. Possibly born in Lithuania, Levy probably came here from Amsterdam in . . . — Map (db m127960) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Association Residence for Respectable Aged Indigent Females
Designed by Richard Morris Hunt in the Victorian Gothic style, the former Association Residence for Respectable Aged Indigent Females was constructed between 1881 and 1883. Few structures by this important American architect survive in New York . . . — Map (db m98476) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Astor Cross
Astor Cross 1914 Designed by Thomas Nash This ornate cross illustrates the genealogy of Christ according to St. Luke. It was dedicated in 1914, in memory of Caroline Webster Schermerhorn Astor, who is buried in Trinity Church Cemetery . . . — Map (db m127060) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Astor Library"Heritage of New York"
This Italianate structure, begun in 1849 and completed in 1881 was built by John Jacob Astor, whose sons later added the north and center sections. Three architects contributed to its design: Alexander Saeltzer (South Wing, 1849-1853); Griffith . . . — Map (db m105489) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Astor Place Riot!1849
On May 10, 1849, one of NYC’s largest riots occurred on this square at the Astor Place Opera House. Blamed on long-standing trans-Atlantic rivalry between famous Shakespearean actors – American-born Edwin Forrest and Englishman Edward Macready . . . — Map (db m136674) HM
New York (New York County), New York — B’nai B’rith
This plaque commemorates the site – 60 Essex Street – where B’nai B’rith The first national service organization created in the United States was founded on October 13, 1843 Dedicated on the occasion of the American Revolution . . . — Map (db m135813) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Ballet Hispanico of New York167-169 West 89th Street
Founded in 1970 by Tina Ramirez, Ballet Hispanico is the nation’s premier Latino dance organization. Built as carriage horse stables in 1892, These properties are listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the . . . — Map (db m141791) HM
New York (New York County), New York — BaltoThe Sled Dogs
Dedicated to the indomitable spirit of The Sled Dogs that relayed antitoxins six hundred miles over rough ice across treacherous waters through arctic blizzards from Nenana to the relief of stricken Nome in the winter of 1925. . . . — Map (db m23428) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bank of New York & Trust Company BuildingDesignated Landmarks of New York
This dignified Neo-Georgian skyscraper was constructed in 1927-29 to the designs of prominent architect Benjamin Wister Morris for the Bank of New York & Trust Company. Much earlier in 1796 The New York Bank & Trust Company was the first bank to . . . — Map (db m127856) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Barnett NewmanJanuary 29, 1905 - July 4, 1970 — 685 West End Avenue, Manhattan —
Born on the Lower East Side, the son of Jewish immigrants from Poland, abstract expressionist Barnett Newman was one of the foremost color field painters of the mid-twentieth century. His rejection of expressive brushstrokes, in favor of . . . — Map (db m98475) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Barnum's First Big BamboozleWashington’s 161-Year Old Nursemaid — Bowery & Division Street —
Whether P.T. Barnum said it or not, “there’s a sucker born every minute” certainly applies to the throngs that lined up at Bowery and Division Street in 1836 for his first big bamboozle – the exhibition of slave woman Joice . . . — Map (db m132305) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Barrow Street
Named after Thomas Barrow, an artist who in 1807 drew a picture of Trinity Church that received wide circulation as a print. Trinity Church was a large landowner of property in Greenwich Village due to a land grant from Queen Ann[e]. The street was . . . — Map (db m57165) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Battery Timeline
1524: Italian explorer Giovanni da Verrazano (sic), on an expedition sponsored by the French crown, sails into New York Harbor. He records his discovery but never sets foot on land. 1600 1609: Englishman Henry Hudson, backed by the Dutch East . . . — Map (db m134183) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Battery Wall Discovery
In spring 2006, during the South Ferry excavation in the Battery, four sections of a colonial era wall were identified by archeologists. Although each of the four sections exhibited unique features, they are all likely part of the same wall, . . . — Map (db m20306) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Battle of Harlem Heights
To commemorate the Battle of Harlem Heights, won by Washington’s troops on this site, September 16, 1776. Erected by the Sons of the Revolution in the State of New York. — Map (db m12665) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Battle of Harlem HeightsSeptember 16 – 1776
In grateful remembrance of the brave soldiers of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia who under General George Washington fought and died on this site for liberty in their country’s . . . — Map (db m12682) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bayard Rustin (1912-1987)
Bayard Rustin was an essential figure in the U.S. Civil Rights Movement who shaped many of the core principles, strategies, and defining events.

Beginning in the 1940s, Rustin spearheaded efforts to dismantle racial discrimination . . . — Map (db m134193) HM

New York (New York County), New York — Beatrix Farrand1872 - 1959
The landscape gardener lived here from 1872 to 1913. Her 192 commissions include the East Garden (1913) of The White House, and the grounds of Dumbarton Oaks (1922-41), also in Washington, D.C. The niece of the celebrated writer, Edith Wharton, she . . . — Map (db m98662) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Beaver’s PathBirth of a City: Nieuw Amsterdam & Old New York
BEAVER’S PATH Location:   Battery Place at Greenwich Street Dutch Name:   Bever Straet Here, on a sandyshore, Lenape Indians beached their canoes to trade beaver and otter pelts for Dutch cloth, kettles, and metal tools. To the Lenape, . . . — Map (db m127312) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bedford Street
Once a dirt country trail designed as an access to Christopher Street. A popular village thoroughfare. Having been mapped prior to 1799, Bedford Street is one of the earliest recorded streets in Greenwich Village. This street is named after Bedford . . . — Map (db m57170) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Before There Was a Park
Long before the construction of Central Park, the rock bluffs in the landscape just south of the Haarlem Meer played an important part in our city's - and nation's - history. Both British and American recognized these hills as a key strategic . . . — Map (db m97300) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bela Bartok
The great Hungarian composer Bela Bartok 1881 - 1945 made his home in this house during the last year of his life — Map (db m77400) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bell of Hope
Accompanied by an honor guard of British police guards, the “Bell of Hope” was presented to the people of New York by the Lord Mayor of London and the Archbishop of Canterbury on September 11, 2002. The Bell of Hope was created by . . . — Map (db m43442) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bell of Hope
Bell of Hope In 2002 on the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, the Bell of Hope was presented to the people of New York by the Lord Mayor of London and the Archbishop of Canterbury. It was created by England’s renowned Whitechapel Foundry, . . . — Map (db m115606) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bella Abzug
Bella Abzug July 24, 1920 — March 31, 1998 2 Fifth Avenue, Manhattan Born in The Bronx to Russian immigrants, Bella Abzug was a graduate of Hunter College (1942) and Columbia Law School (1947). A labor and civil rights lawyer, much of her . . . — Map (db m101595) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Belvedere Tower
Erected in 1869 as a lookout. It now houses the New York Meteorological Observatory which was founded in 1868 by Dr. Daniel Draper who was its director until his retirement in 1912. At which time the observatory came under the direction of the . . . — Map (db m56954) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Benjamin Franklin1706 – 1790
Printer Patriot Philosopher Statesman Presented by Albert DeGroot to the Press and Printers of the City of New York inveiled January 17, 1872 Ernst Plassman SculptorMap (db m13746) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Berlin Wall segment
In November 2004, the 15th Anniversary of the dismantling of the Berlin Wall, the city of Berlin donated this piece of the Wall to Battery Park City. These segments were originally located in downtown Berlin in the area between Potsdamer Plaza and . . . — Map (db m132053) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bernard M. Baruch College / CUNY17 Lexington Avenue
A center of commerce by the 1840's, NYC attracted a growing immigrant population. Townsend Harris, President of the Board of Education, saw the need for publicly-supported higher education. In 1849, his vision was fulfilled when The Free Academy . . . — Map (db m116838) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bethesda Fountain and Terrace
Designed by Calvert Vaux and Jacob Wrey Mould, these stairways, terrace and fountain were the focal feature of the original plan for Central Park by Vaux and Frederick Law Olmsted. The fountain sculpture by Emma Stebbins, inspired by the biblical . . . — Map (db m130039) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Betsey JohnsonFashion Walk of Fame
From the beginning of her career in the 1960s, Betsey Johnson has been known for a youthful, exuberant style – epitomized by her habit of cartwheeling down the runway at the end of her fashion shows. Her colorful, flirtatious clothes often . . . — Map (db m57279) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bill BlassFashion Walk of Fame
Having brought the comfort and simplicity of sportswear into the realm of formal dressing, Blass can rightly be credited as one of the creators of a true “American style.” His blending of classic fabrics, like cashmere and satin, have . . . — Map (db m58310) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Biography of Dr. Sun Yat-sen
Biography of Dr. Sun Yat-sen Father of the Republic of China (1866-1925) Dr. Sun Yat-sen was born on November 12, 1866 to a Cantonese family in Tsuei-Heng Village, Shiangshan County, Kwangtung Province in China, under the rule of the Ching . . . — Map (db m131336) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Birthplace of Columbia University
Birthplace of Columbia University In 1752 Trinity Church gave a grant of land for a new college. On July 17, 1754, the first class of King’s College, which was to become Columbia University, met in the schoolhouse of Trinity Church located . . . — Map (db m127717) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Birthplace of Eugene O'Neill
Eugene O'Neill October 16, 1888 — November 27, 1953 America's greatest playwright was born on this site then called Barrett House — Map (db m14192) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Birthplace of Herman Melville
On this site, number 6 Pearl Street, Herman Melville was born August 1, 1819. Author of Moby Dick, “Bartelby the Scrivener,” Pierre, Billy Budd and many other American classics. — Map (db m127940) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Birthplace of Lou Gehrig
1903 - 1941 Lou Gehrig known as the "Pride of the Yankees" was born at this location on June 19th, 1903. In his amazing feat of playing 2130 consecutive games, Lou became known as "The Iron Horse" to the baseball world. Dedicated to . . . — Map (db m53786) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Birthplace of Modern Tattooing!11 Chatham Square — 16 Bowery —
As a stomping ground for sailors and sporting men, the Bowery/Chatham Square was an appropriate location for Samuel O’Reilly and Charlie Wagner, the fathers of modern tattooing. O’Reilly, who patented the first electric tattooing machine in 1891, . . . — Map (db m132310) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Birthplace Of Vaudeville?199-201 Bowery
You are standing on the former site of Tony Pastor’s Opera House, one of the legendary birthplaces of vaudeville. Known as the “Bowery Autocrat,” Antonio Pastor (1832-1908), was born in NYC, sang as a child performer in P.T. Barnum’s . . . — Map (db m133593) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Black Horse Inn
In 1783 the Black Horse Inn stood on this site and the Bull's Head Tavern adjoined it. Here General George Washington began his triumphal march into the city upon its evacuation by the British November 25, 1783. The Citizens Savings Bank, organized . . . — Map (db m26880) HM
New York (New York County), New York — BohemoramaViki Khuzami — 2001 Acrylic on canvas —
This painting is dedicated to all aspiring dreamers, outcasts, and gypsies drawn to Greenwich Village life. “The mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time.” . . . — Map (db m140669) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bonnie CashinFashion Walk of Fame
Following a career in costume design, Cahin launched her fashion business in the 1950s. Calling her clothing “kinetic art forms for living,” she adapted simple cuts from the history of world clothing to meet the needs of modern women. . . . — Map (db m58165) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bouwerie Lane Theater(Formerly the Bond Street Savings Bank)
This unique cast iron building was designed in 1874 by architect Henry Engelbert, in the French Second Empire style. It successfully presents two harmonious facades to the streets that meet at its corner site. First known as the German Exchange . . . — Map (db m105385) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bowery Savings Bank
This impressive building, completed in 1895, is located on the site of the first Bowery Savings Bank. Designed by Stanford White of the firm of McKim, Mead & White, it is an excellent example of neo-classical architecture.

The Building was . . . — Map (db m56935) HM

New York (New York County), New York — Bowling Green
The first public park to be established in New York March 12, 1733 “Resolved that the Corporation will Lease a Piece of Land lying at the lower End of Broadway fronting to the Fort to some of the inhabitants of the Said Broadway in Order to . . . — Map (db m13735) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bowling Green / Sports Museum of AmericaExploring Downtown
Bowling Green This little patch of green surrounded by grand Broadway office buildings survives as New York City’s oldest public park – Bowling Green. It served as a cattle pasture and a parade ground before being designated in 1733 as a . . . — Map (db m129591) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bowling Green FenceLandmarks of New York
Erected by the Common Council in 1771, this fence surrounds New York’s earliest park. The park was leased in 1733 for use as a bowling green at a rental of one peppercorn a year. Patriots, who in 1776 destroyed an equestrian statue of George III . . . — Map (db m13728) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bowne & Company
On this site, then 39 Queen Street, Robert Bowne, New York merchant, philanthropist, and educator, established Bowne & Company in 1775. The company is New York’s oldest business concern operating under the same name since its . . . — Map (db m132532) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bristol Basin
Bristol Basin Beneath this East River Drive of the City of New York lie stones, bricks and rubble from the bombed city of Bristol in England… brought here in ballast from overseas, these fragments that once were homes shall testify while men love . . . — Map (db m124605) HM WM
New York (New York County), New York — British Soldiers' Barracks
The British Army maintained a military presence in New York from 1640 to 1783. During the American Revolution, the British built barracks in this vicinity and used the land now occupied by City Hall Park for military exercises and executions. — Map (db m130570) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Broad Street History Path
19 street panels along the path of the original Broad Street canal 1642: The Dutch create a canal south of Beaver Street by expanding a small rivulet known as “the ditch”. It is called the “Herre Graft”. 1642: Broad . . . — Map (db m131079) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Broadway – Maiden Lane
Broadway – Maiden Lane about 1880 --------------- Erected by the Maiden Lane Historical Society 1928 — Map (db m24103) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Broadway-Chambers Building
Designed by renowned architect Cass Gilbert, this vibrant structure, faced with pale pink granite, multi-hued brick,, and colored terra cotta, is a distinctive interpretation of the Beaux-Arts style popularized by the 1893 World's Columbian . . . — Map (db m129428) HM
New York (New York County), New York — BrooklynA 20,000-Mile Religous Exodus by Ship
On February 4, 1846, the ship Brooklyn sailed from Manhattan's Old Slip. Chartered by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the ship carried men, women, and children to California as part of the epic movement of Mormons to the West. By . . . — Map (db m21511) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Brooklyn Battery TunnelManhattan Plaza
Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel Manhattan Plaza Longest Underwater Vehicular Tunnel in North America 9,117 feet in length Opened May 25th, 1950 Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority — Map (db m132052) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Brotherhood Synagogue(Formerly the Friends Meetinghouse) — 144 East 20th Street —
In 1859, the Society of Friends, known as Quakers, commissioned the firm of King & Kellum to design a structure "exactly suited for a Friends Meeting, entirely plain, neat and chaste, of good taste, but avoiding all useless ornament". This building . . . — Map (db m99049) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bryant Park TodayFrom a derelict park to an urban oasis
In 1974, the New York Landmarks Preservation Commission designated Bryant Park a Scenic Landmark, call it “...a prime example of a park designed in the French Classical tradition...an urban amenity worthy of our civic pride.: Within five years . . . — Map (db m57104) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Buildings Overlooking Bryant ParkOutstanding New York architecture frames the park
Part of Bryant Park’s urbane charm is that it is surrounded by prime examples of several periods of New York City architecture. At the northern corner of Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street is 500 Fifth Avenue. Shreve, Lamb & Harmon (architects of the . . . — Map (db m57101) HM
New York (New York County), New York — C.F. Martin & Co. Guitars
Established 1833 Christian Frederick Martin (1796-1873) established his first instrument shop on this site in the late Fall of 1833. He emigrated here with his family from the small town of Markneukirchen, Germany to form what would become C.F. . . . — Map (db m23056) HM

989 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 789
Paid Advertisement