Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Oceana County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Auto Tourist Camps Marker (Side 2) image, Touch for more information
By Joel Seewald, August 3, 2017
Auto Tourist Camps Marker (Side 2)
Michigan (Oceana County), Hart — L2210 — John Gurney Park / Auto Tourist Camps
John Gurney Park Former state senator Theron Gurney and his wife, Helen, donated land to the village of Hart in 1912 for a park to honor their son, Lieutenant John Gurney (1871-1898), a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at . . . — Map (db m106965) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Mears — L2243 — Petite Pointe Au Sable Lighthouse
Side 1 Here the Petite Pointe Au Sable (little point of sand) juts into Lake Michigan. Increased shipping on the lake started after the Civil War, largely due to the expanding lumber industry. Consequently, this isolated point became the . . . — Map (db m107009) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — Brass Anchor
1869   S. A. Browne opened a 24' x 80' expansion with groceries to the existing 20' x 50' building 1872   First brick building erected in Pentwater 1874   The "Oceana Times" used this building to produce their newspaper 1880 - 1928 . . . — Map (db m107158) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — Cosmic Candy
1800's   Mr. Bougas Livery Stable business 1915   David Eisenlohr purchased the building and continued the livery business and used a portion for auto parts and repairs 1920   Remodeled, installed gas pump and reopened as a full . . . — Map (db m107324) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — S571 — Graveyard of Ships / Veterans' Day Storm
Graveyard of Ships The twenty-mile span of Lake Michigan between Little Point Sable, at Silver Lake, and Big Point Sable, north of Ludington, has earned a reputation as the "Graveyard of Ships." Beginning with the loss of the . . . — Map (db m106970) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — Gustafson's(Built with Pentwater Brick)
1887*   Thomas Collister built the largest and only three story building at the time 1888   Building sold to Charles Mears who opened a general store 1899- 1920   Crescent Drug Store 1922-1937   Charles F. Lewis Hardware . . . — Map (db m107299) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — Lites Drug Store
1899 — The Corner Drug Store was owned by D. G. Weare for many years but was owned by F. W. Fincher when it was destroyed by the 1889 fire. 1891 - F. W. Fincher rebuilt this two story and basement building known as The Corner Drug . . . — Map (db m107206) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — Pentwater Wire Products
Prior to 1887 Sands & Maxwell owned the two story framed blacksmith/wagon shop. 1887   Jonathan Halstead covered the wooden walls and erected two brick buildings, manufacturing carriages, wagons and sleighs. 1893-1895   It became . . . — Map (db m107127) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — Pet Hollywood(Built with Pentwater Brick)
1884   Lot was bought by Mr. Klingbeil 1886   Labonta & Metro built the wood framed store, veneered with Pentwater brick and installed a metal roof. 1887   Mr. Klingbeil ran a Merchant, Tailor and Drapery Store 1905   Mr. Carney . . . — Map (db m107304) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — Ships and ShippingHistoric Village of Pentwater
What is now a park-like shore along the lake was the heart of Pentwater's industrial district during the lumbering era. Today's grass replaced many large neat stacks of newly sawn lumber awaiting shipment. Lumber was the principal outgoing cargo . . . — Map (db m107195) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — The Lumber IndustryHistoric Village of Pentwater
If you stood on this spot in 1866 you would have been in the midst of a bustling lumber town, boasting three sawmills, two shingle mills, one barrel-stave mill, a planing mill, and one foundry. Tall stacks of drying lumber covered all available . . . — Map (db m107141) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — The Pentwater Methodist Church
1875   Pentwater's first church built in 1866 was destroyed by fire. Parishoners from that Methodist church planned to rebuild.   The new church was designed by Grand Rapids architects Robins and Barnaby at a cost of $3,500.   . . . — Map (db m107305) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Pentwater — White Elephant
1891 — Mr. G. A. Williams of Chicago submitted to the people of Pentwater a proposal to build a summer Resort hotel costing $75,000 and $10,000 for furnishing it. In return, the Village would donate the site and give $15,000 towards it. It . . . — Map (db m107215) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.