Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Saint James Cornwall Historical Markers

 
Fort Montego Armoury Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, November 21, 2015
Fort Montego Armoury Marker
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Fort Montego Armoury
All forts had buildings in which weapons and ammunition were kept safe. These were known as armouries and were heavily fortified buildings. The thick walls provided protection from direct hits, even the roof is built from cut stone to deflect shots . . . — Map (db m92386) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Fort Montego Cannons
Cannons were used in forts for the defence of harbours. Fort Montego had seventeen (17) cannons mounted in its heyday. Three (3) remain, two (2) dated 1810 and one (1) 1813. These are cast iron cannons manufactured by the Carron and Company Works . . . — Map (db m92379) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Fort Montego History
The fort was originally built in 1750; it was then known as Fort Frederick, later as Fort George. Fort Montego designed by European engineers, was built by enslaved Jamaicans to guard the town of Montego Bay. Built in the shape of a polygon, the . . . — Map (db m92385) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Jamaica's Independence and Royal Visit
This tablet commemorates Jamaica’s achievement of independence on the 6th of August, 1962, and the visit of Her Royal Highness The Princess Margaret Countess of Snowdon and The Earl of Snowdon to Montego Bay on the 8th of August, 1962. — Map (db m129887) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Montego Bay Civic Centre
Montego Bay Civic Centre The Montego Bay Civic Centre was redeveloped by the Urban Development Corporation (UDC) for the St. James Parish Council, from the ruins of the old burnt-out courthouse built in 1804 The UDC carried out this project . . . — Map (db m129885) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Montego Bay HistoryFort Montego
The area was settled by the Taino. Columbus arrived in 1494 on the 2nd voyage, anchored in the bay and called it Golfo de Buen Tiempo or the Gulf of Good Weather. The Spanish used it to ship Manteca or Lard from the slaughtering of . . . — Map (db m92252) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Rose Hall Great House
National Monument Jamaica National Trust Commission — Map (db m129958) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Sam Sharpe
Sam Sharpe was enslaved on both the Croydon Plantation and at a property in Montego Bay in St. James. He was owned by Samuel Sharpe, Esquire, Attorney. He was a man of exceptional intelligence and a Baptist lay preacher. He believed all men were . . . — Map (db m129853) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — The Cage
The Cage The cage dates back to 1806. A belfry was built in 1811. In about 1823 this was replaced with todays building of bricks and mortar. The Cage was used as an overnight lockup for vagrants, drunks, runaways and plantation slaves . . . — Map (db m129717) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.