This fine stone building was at one time a bawdy saloon of the early days and then served as a formal, dignified bank. A large arched wine cellar beneath it is still preserved in its original state. — — Map (db m64861) HM
This beautiful and stately native stone building was once one of the finest buildings in town. Being named after the two Irish brothers who built it, it is referred to as the Limerick Building. — — Map (db m64849) HM
Originally known as the Palenske Building, this beautiful two story stone building originally housed a bookstore. It was also a bank at one time. The detailed scrollwork around the doorway adds a unique touch to this building. — — Map (db m64877) HM
This brick building, made possible by donated labor and funds raised by the American Legion and Auxiliary Post #32, was built as a memorial to the Soldiers and Sailors of Wabaunsee County. — — Map (db m64851) HM WM
The 1867 law abolishing the open range provided for payment of 40 cents per rod (16½ ft.) to landowners to build and maintain a 4½ ft. stone fence. Stone was plentiful and our pioneers built miles of fences. — — Map (db m64885) HM
In 1884 this stone was used to construct the Machine Shop on the Strasen Farm.
In 2008 the stone was donated for this wall in memory of Althea and Edgar Strasen by the Jim Johnson family. — — Map (db m64876) HM
Erected by the Pupils of the Wabaunsee County Schools in honor of all our boys who entered the World War and in loving memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice.
Died in Service
Elmer Bartell Dwight E. Bullock John Carey . . . — — Map (db m64875) WM
Bluestem in the Flint Hills
"Texas shipped up the horns,” Kansas cowmen used to say, “and we put the bodies under them.” They meant that bony steers from Texas grew fat in the Bluestem pastures of Kansas. . . . — — Map (db m73107) HM
When Kansas territory was opened for white settlement on May 30, 1854, a bitter contest developed over the slavery question. Established the following December, Topeka, 25 miles ahead, favored the Free-State cause even though the territorial . . . — — Map (db m55359) HM