Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in South Aegean Region

 
Apocalypse Monastery image, Touch for more information
By Richard E. Miller, May 20, 2011
Apocalypse Monastery
Greece, South Aegean Region (Kalymnos Regional Unit), Chorá — Historic Centre (Chorá)Cave of the Apocalypse — World Heritage Site
1999 The Historic Centre (Chorá) with the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian and the Cave of the Apocalypse World Heritage Site The Historic Centre (Chorá) with the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian and the Cave of the Apocalypse . . . — Map (db m43646) HM
Greece, South Aegean Region (Kalymnos Regional Unit), Chorá — Historic Centre (Chorá)Monastery of Saint John the Theologian — World Heritage Site
[Marker text printed in Greek and English script:] 1999 The Historic Centre (Chorá) with the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian and the Cave of the Apocalypse World Heritage Site The Historic Centre (Chorá) with the Monastery . . . — Map (db m43647) HM
Greece, South Aegean Region (Kalymnos Regional Unit), Skala Village — Liberation of PatmosCapt. Terence Bruce Mitford
[Marker text printed in both Greek and English scripts:] Erected by the Community of Patmos to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Liberation of the Island, 10 February 1944 by Terence Bruce Mitford Captain, Special Boat Services . . . — Map (db m43136) HM
Greece, South Aegean Region (Thira Regional Unit), Fira — Catholic Church of Koimisi Tis Theotokou(The Dormition of the Virgin Mary) — or Panagia of Agion Theodoron
On the site where the church now stands, there were initially two small cave churches dedicated to Agios Theodoros (St. Theodore) and Our Lady, which are mentioned in a will from 1641 and a report from 1642 by the inspector of the Catholic Bishopic . . . — Map (db m126050) HM
Greece, South Aegean Region (Thira Regional Unit), Fira — Catholic Church of Saint Stylianos
This church is located on the verge of the cliffs of Fira, clinging to the edge of the caldera. It is first mentioned in a list of Santorini churches, compiled in 1757 by the Catholic Archbishop of Naxos Pietro Martire de Stefani. The church . . . — Map (db m126051) HM
Greece, South Aegean Region (Thira Regional Unit), Fira — Santorini Cable Car
IΔPYMA ΛOYΛAΣ KAI EYAΓΓEΛOY NOMIKOY TEΛEΦEPIK ΣANTOPINH Σ ΔΩPEA TOY IΔPYTH ΣTIΣ 14 KOINOTHTEΣ TOY NHΣIOY Loulas and Evangelos Nomikos Foundation . . . — Map (db m43315) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.