Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Elgin, Illinois Historical Markers

 
Fire Barn No. 3 Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, April 21, 2012
Fire Barn No. 3 Marker
Illinois (Kane County), Elgin — ElginFire Barn No. 3
Built for horse-drawn apparatus in 1896, in anticipation of city growth, Barn No. 3 was designed by Smith Hoag. It reflects the turn-of-the-century "Storefront Style" of fire barn architecture. Designated a local landmark in 1992. — Map (db m55596) HM
Illinois (Kane County), Elgin — Elgin Milk Condensing Company
Gail Borden, pioneer in the food preservative industry, established a milk condensing plant on this site in 1865. His discovery incorporated a process by which water was evaporated from milk, and sugar added as a preservative. This process, patented . . . — Map (db m63650) HM
Illinois (Kane County), Elgin — Elgin National Watch Company
From 1866 to 1966 this site was occupied by the Elgin National Watch Company. This was the first watch factory built west of the Alleghenies and grew to become the world's largest. During its lifetime over 60 million 'Elgin' watches were . . . — Map (db m55455) HM
Illinois (Kane County), Elgin — Elgin National Watch Company Factory Bell
The Factory - 1867 Pocket watch production began in 1867. The factory, located on National Street at the south end of Grove Avenue, grew in stages until by 1920 it was the largest watchmaking complex in the world, ultimately producing more . . . — Map (db m63436) HM
Illinois (Kane County), Elgin — Elgin Road Races
This marker is along the “south leg” of the Elgin road races. Beginning in 1910, many leading drivers and mechanics competed here in grueling tests of speed and endurance that contributed to the development of the modern automobile. . . . — Map (db m55454) HM
Illinois (Kane County), Elgin — Elgin's Masonic Temple CornerstoneDedicated 1926
In 1926 a grand hall was erected as the new home for two local Masonic organizations -- the Elgin Lodge #117 and the Monitor Lodge #552. At the time, the new Masonic Temple was Elgin's largest indoor meeting space. In addition to lodge functions, it . . . — Map (db m63331) HM
Illinois (Kane County), Elgin — Illinois Watch Case Company(1890-1963)
For more than 70 years this site was occupied by the Illinois Watch Case Company. The firm was a leader in the domestic watch industry and by the 1920s had produced more than 30 million watch cases. A subsidiary produced jewelry goods, lockets, . . . — Map (db m55458) HM
Illinois (Kane County), Elgin — Memorial Tribute to Elgin Academy's Patriotic Sons Who Served in the Great Civil War, 1861-1865
Among Elginites who served in the Civil War, there were 153 students, teachers, administrators and trustees from Elgin Academy. •Academy student Leverett Kelley was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for heroic action in combat at Missionary . . . — Map (db m63437) HM WM
Illinois (Kane County), Elgin — Washington Reformed Presbyterian Church
This tablet is made to preserve the memory of pioneers, God fearing people from Scotland and Ireland who organized this church in 1841, as a place to meet together and worship Andrew McCornack • Robert Shedden • William Fraser • George . . . — Map (db m59171) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement