Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Intramuros, Manila Historical Markers

 
Ateneo de Manila image, Touch for more information
By I.G.V.Atajar, January 1, 2003
Ateneo de Manila
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Ateneo de Manila
Here once stood the Ateneo de Manila. Founded in 1817 as Escuela Pia de Manila. Administered by government in 1831 and renamed Escuela Municipak de Manila. Turned over to the Jesuits in 1859. Renamed Ateneo Municipak de Manila in 1865. Exclusive . . . — Map (db m25162) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — AyuntamientoCasa Consistoriales
In Tagalog: Ipinatayong tahanang ng Cabildo at iba pang pinuno ng pamahalaan ng Lungsod ng Maynila. Inilagay ang panulukang bato, 1735 natapos, 1738. Nasira ng lindol 1863; muling ipinatayo, 1879. Naging luklukan ng Pamahalaang kolonyal na . . . — Map (db m25157) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Beaterio de la Compañia de Jesus
On this site stood the house of the Beaterio de la Compañia de Jesus, first Filipino congregation of religous women. Founded in 1684 by Ignacia del Espiritu Santo, a Chinese mestiza from Binondo. The Archbishop of Manila approved the rules of the . . . — Map (db m25230) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Beaterio-Colegio de Santa Catalina
Here once stood the Beaterio-Colegio de Santa Catalina. Order founded in 1633 by Mother Francisca del Espiritu Santo. Known as Dominican Sisters of the Tertiary Order. Order recognized by King in 1716. Authorized to offer teacher-training courses in . . . — Map (db m25275) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Chapel of the Franciscan Venerable Third Order
Here once stood the Chapel of the Franciscan Venerable Third Order. Housed the Congregation of the Third Order of Saint Francis established in 1611 by Fr. Jose de Santa Maria, O.F.M. Chapel built in 1618. Stone edifice built in 1678. Renovated from . . . — Map (db m25237) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Church of San Agustin
Oldest stone church in the Philippines. Plans were approved in 1587 and completed in 1607 under the supervision successively of the Augustinian Fathers Francisco de Bustos, Ildefonso Perez, Diego de Avila and brother Alonso de Perea. Its architect . . . — Map (db m25040) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Colegio de Santa Isabel
Here once stood the Colegio de Santa Isabel. Founded in 1632 by the Hermandad de la Santa Misericordia. Granted royal patronage in 1733. Administered by Daughters of Charity since 1862. First office of the Monte de Piedad y Caja de Ahoras . . . — Map (db m25163) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Colegio de Santa Rosa
Here stands the Colegio de Santa Rosa. Founded in 1750 by Mother Paula de Santissima Trinidad. Formerly called Beaterio y Casa Ensenanza and administered to the needs of the Filipina orphans. Granted royal patronage in 1774. Administration . . . — Map (db m25282) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — College of San Juan de LetranColegio de San Juan de Letran
Founded by Diego de Santa Maria, O.P., in 1630. This institution absorbed the school of Juan Geronimo Guerrero in 1638. In 1648, after its building had been detroyed by the earthquake of 1645. The College was removed to the Parian, on which site it . . . — Map (db m25274) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Cruceiro
The Cruceiro or wayside stone across is an expression of a truly popular devotion of the Christian in the autonomous region of Galicia in northwestern Spain. It is a symbol of divine protection and place of prayer. It guides the pilgrims on their . . . — Map (db m25290) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Cuartel De Santa LuciaSanta Lucia Barracks
On this site, Cuartel de la Artilleria de Montana was built by Thomas Sanz, Engineer of the army during the Administration of Governor General Jose Basco y Vargas, 1781. Used as barracks by The Philippine Constabulary, 1901. Became The Philippine . . . — Map (db m25227) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Former Palace of the Governors GeneralPalacio del Gobernador
This site was formerly occupied by the stately residence of Captain Manuel Estacio Venegas, Secretary to Governor General Diego Fajardo. Venegas died on March 7, 1660, a prisoner at Fort Santiago. His residence was confiscated and became the Palace . . . — Map (db m25155) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Hospital de San Juan de Dios
Here once stood the Hospital de San Juan de Dios. First known as the "Hospitalito de Santa Ana". Built in 1578 by Franciscan lay brother, Juan Clemente. Managed by the Hermandad de la Santa Misecordia with spiritual administration handled by . . . — Map (db m25243) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Lourdes Church and Convent
Here once stood the first permanent house of the Franciscan Capuchin friars in 1891. First chapel built in 1892. Dedicated to our Lady of the Divine Shepherd (Divina Pastora). Statue of Our Lady of Lourdes carved by Filipino sculptor Manuel . . . — Map (db m25242) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Manila CathedralRoman Catholic Cathedral of Manila
First cathedral built in 1581. Damaged by a typhoon, 1582 and destroyed by fire, 1583. Second Cathedral built of stone in 1592 and partially destroyed by earthquake, 1600. Third Cathedral built in 1614 and destroyed by the earthquake of 1645. Fourth . . . — Map (db m25153) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Manila High School
In Tagalog: Ang paaralang ito ay naitatag ng mga Kastila sa utos ng Ayuntamiento de Manila sa daang Victoria, Intramuros noong 1892. Pinangalanang "Escuela Municipal de Manila". Dito rin itinatag ng mga Amerikano ang kauna-unahang paaralang . . . — Map (db m25235) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Memorare-Manila 1945
This monument is erected in memory of the more than 100,000 defenseless civilians who were killed during the Battle for the Liberation of Manila between February 3 and March 3,1945. They were mainly victims of heinous acts perpetrated by the . . . — Map (db m25517) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Mother Francisca del Espiritu Santo
Francisca de Fuentes, was born to Don Simon de Fuentes and Ana Maria Tamayo del Castillo in the City of Manila in 1647. Widowed and childless herself after a brief marriage, she dedicated herself to helping the sick, the needy and the young. In . . . — Map (db m25291) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — No. 1 Victoria St.
On this site once stood the headquarters of General Douglas MacArthur commanding general of the United States Army Forces in the Far East (USAFFE) Popularly known as "No. 1 Victoria St." it was located opposite the USAFFE headquarters at the . . . — Map (db m25241) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Padre Jose A. Burgos
In Tagalog: Sa pook na ito nanirahan si Padre Burgos mula noong 1865 hanggang 1872 at nagtrabaho para sa mga pagbabago sa simbahan sa ilalim ng Espanya, naging Kura Paroko ng Parroquia del Sagrario, Fiscal Eclesiastico at pansamantalang . . . — Map (db m25158) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Palacio Arzobispal
Here once stood the Archbishop's Palace. Acquired by Archbishop Miguel de Poblete (1653-1667) for use as residence. Housed the offices of the Archbishop of Manila and the Catholic Church in the Philippines. Underwent major repairs after damage from . . . — Map (db m25160) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Plaza de España
Named Plaza de los Mártires de la Integridad Nacional in 1897 in memory of Spanish Soldier who died in the encounters of August 1896, was rebuilt by the Intramuros Administration and opened on July 1982. Manuel C. Elizalde Jr. donated the stone . . . — Map (db m25288) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Plaza de Roma
Formerly called Plaza Mayor. Converted into a park in 1797. Renamed Plaza McKinley after U.S. President William McKinley in 1901. Renamed Plaza de Roma in 1961 to honor Sacred College of Cardinals in Rome following the elevation of . . . — Map (db m25154) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Plaza Santo Tomas
Lot originally purchased by the Dominican Order in 1627 for their cemetery and garden. Bought by city government in 1861 as a public plaza. Given to the University of Santo Tomas in 1879. Bronze statue of U.S.T. founder Archbishop Miguel de . . . — Map (db m25285) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Plazuela de Santa IsabelPlaza Sampalucan
Made part of Santa Isabel College which lacked an open space characteristic of Spanish buildings. Empty lot called Sampalucan along Calle Anda joined to enlarge plazuela in the 18th century. Restored in 1983. Monument dedicated to . . . — Map (db m25164) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — San Francisco Church and Convent
Here once stood the San Francisco Church and Convent. Built by the Franciscans who arrived in the Philippines in 1578. First church and convent dedicated to Our Lady of Angels (Nuestra Senora de los Angeles). Destroyed in 1583. A new stone . . . — Map (db m25236) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — San Ignacio Church
Here once stood the second San Ignacio Church and the Casa Mission of the Jesuit Order. Built from 1878 to 1889. Designed by first Filipino architect Felix Roxas, Sr. Neo-classical in style with two towers. Constructed under the direction of Jesuit . . . — Map (db m25161) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Santo Domingo Church and Convent
Here once stood the Santo Domingo Church and Convent of the Dominican Order. First built in 1588. Collapsed in 1589 due to poor foundations. Rebuilt in stone 1592. Burned in 1603. Constructed for the third time but destroyed in 1645 earthquake. . . . — Map (db m25287) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Simbahan at Kumbento ng RecoletosChurch and Convent of the Recollects — Recollects Church
In Tagalog: Sa pook na ito ipinatayo ang simbahan at kumbento ng San Nicolas de Tolentino ng Order of Augustinian Recollects (OAR)sa kagandahang-loob ni Bernardino del Castillo Maldonado, 1608. Nagsilbing pangunahing kumbento ng mga Recoletos . . . — Map (db m25233) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — The Jesuit Compound
This block was occupied by the Jesuits upon their arrival in 1581 until their expulsion in 1768. The Church of Santa Ana (1587), Colegio Maximo de San Ignacio (1595), Colegio de San Jose (1601), and the first church and convent of San Ignacio (1626) . . . — Map (db m25232) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Tomas Mapua(1888-1965)
Educator and first registered architect. Born in Manila, December 21,1888. Studied at Ateneo de Manila and Liceo de Manila, completed secondary education at Boones Preparatory School in Berkeley, California, 1907. Obtained the degree of bachelor in . . . — Map (db m25293) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — University of Santo TomasUniversidad de Santo Tomas — UST
Here once stood the Univerity of Santo Tomas, the oldest university in Asia. Founded in 1611. First called Colegio Seminario de Santo Tomas de Nuestra del Rosario. Authorized to grant academic degrees in 1624. Raised to the rank of . . . — Map (db m25286) HM

32 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement