Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Killeen, Texas Historical Markers

 
Avenue D School image, Touch for more information
By Larry D. Moore, November 19, 2017
Avenue D School
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 251 — Avenue D School
Constructed to replace an earlier brick schoolhouse destroyed by fire, the present Avenue D School was built in 1923. C.J. Leinbach of Dallas designed the three-story building, which features decorative stonework and separate entrances for girls and . . . — Map (db m117551) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 391 — Bethel Primitive Baptist Church
Bethel Primitive Baptist Church originated in the Palo Alto Community, which was located about 3.5 miles northeast of present Killeen. Organized about 1864, the congregation met in a Union Church building shared with other denominations. When . . . — Map (db m121301) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 887 — City of Killeen
When the tracks of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad were extended from Temple to Lampasas in the early 1880s, a switching station was installed near the midway point. The settlement that grew up around the site became the town of Killeen, . . . — Map (db m133597) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 1798 — First National Bank of Killeen
Chartered on Feb. 27, 1901, the First National Bank of Killeen is the oldest continuously operated bank in Bell County. It first served a primarily agricultural economy, but as Killeen began to develop the bank led in the town's dramatic growth. Its . . . — Map (db m133596) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 2622 — Immanuel Lutheran Church Cemetery
The first burial in this graveyard, that of Wilhelm Wolf, took place in 1891, two years after the German Evangelical Lutheran Emmanuel Congregation was formally organized. The Rev. H.F. Daude (1850-1924), who served as first pastor, deeded land here . . . — Map (db m121279) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 2939 — Killeen Herald
W.E. Bennett began publishing the Killeen Herald in June 1890, eight years after the town of Killeen was founded. Later owners of the newspaper included W.T. Carter, an active civic leader who served as publisher and editor from 1907 to 1950. Begun . . . — Map (db m121286) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 3264 — Maxdale Cemetery
Established in the 1860s to serve the rural community of Pleasant Grove, this cemetery is one of the oldest in Bell County. Land for the graveyard was given by Frank N. McBryde, Sr., whose 1883 application for a post office for the community . . . — Map (db m121241) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 3275 — McBryde Cemetery
Mancel T. McBryde (1821-1896), who brought his family here from Georgia in the early 1860s, began this family cemetery in 1885 upon the death of his wife, Jane W. Goar McBryde (1826-1885). A farmer and rancher, McBryde selected a site south of his . . . — Map (db m121235) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 5740 — Wednesday Review Club
Organized by twelve charter members in September 1906, this organization was originally known as the Ladies Literary Society of Killeen. The name was changed one month later to the Wednesday Review Club. Pursuing studies in American and . . . — Map (db m121291) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement