Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Ligonier, Indiana Historical Markers

 
Ahavath Scholom Temple image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, April 1, 2014
Ahavath Scholom Temple
Indiana (Noble County), Ligonier — Ahavath Scholom Temple (Lovers of Peace)
Dedicated: September 1889 Last Jewish Service was held in 1954    The Ligonier Historical Society held a ceremony commemorating the 100th anniversary of the dedication of the Jewish temple, and rededicated it as the Ligonier . . . — Map (db m72842) HM
Indiana (Noble County), Ligonier — 57.2014.1 — Ahavath Sholom
(Side One) German Jews immigrated to the U.S. in greater numbers starting in the 1850s. In the 1860s, Ligonier's Jewish residents formed the congregation Ahavath Sholom (Hebrew for "peace loving") and circa 1867, built a small synagogue . . . — Map (db m76855) HM
Indiana (Noble County), Ligonier — Ben Glaser 1893 - 1980
Born in Austria. Came to Ligonier in 1917 as a Jewish peddler, selling a variety of used items including car parts. He opened an auto dealership of Chevrolet, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile until 1955 when son Joseph took over the business. — Map (db m72840) HM
Indiana (Noble County), Ligonier — Frederick W. Straus 1833 - 1898
Came to Ligonier as a Jewish peddler in 1854. He became a retailer, buggy manufacturer, a banker and realtor. He was known as a fair and honest man. His buggy factory known as the Ligonier Carriage Co. was in the Essex Wire building that was torn . . . — Map (db m72838) HM
Indiana (Noble County), Ligonier — Isaac Cavin 1807 - 1884
Born in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. He purchased 80 acres of ground along the river for 75 silver dollars. He platted the town of Ligonier in 1835. The beautiful Seth Thomas clock was donated to the city by John Cavin in memory of his father. — Map (db m72837) HM
Indiana (Noble County), Ligonier — Solomon Mier 1833 - 1910
Came to Ligonier as a Jewish peddler in 1854. He became a banker, realtor, retailer, carriage and auto manufacturer. His care was named the Mier Runabout. He established the Banking House of Solomon Mier at 310 S. Cavin Street. — Map (db m72839) HM
Indiana (Noble County), Ligonier — The Ligonier Train Depot
The railroad came to Ligonier in 1858 and was then called the Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana Railroad. Later the New York Central purchased the railroad line and a new depot for passenger service was built. The yard surrounding the depot was . . . — Map (db m72841) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement