Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Osceola, Wisconsin Historical Markers

 
Cascade Falls Marker image, Touch for more information
By Keith L, October 15, 2008
Cascade Falls Marker
Wisconsin (Polk County), Osceola — Cascade Falls
On May 14, 1884, William Kent and 12 companions stopped on their journey from St. Croix Falls to explore a creek that rippled through the glen and emptied into the St. Croix River. A beautiful 25-foot waterfall burst upon their vision and they . . . — Map (db m17546) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Osceola — Geiger Brewery
From 1867 to 1878 master brewer Veit Geiger operated the Geiger Brewery at this location. The artesian springs assured an abundant source of pure water, and the nearby caves provided a constant 50-degree storage cellar. The brewery, was just one of . . . — Map (db m17699) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Osceola — Osceola
First settled by William Kent in 1844 when he came looking for lumber for ship masts. Built a lumber mill powered by Osceola Creek. Other industries followed along with a flour mill in 1852. First called Leroy in honor of Leroy Hubbard the first . . . — Map (db m17551) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Osceola — Osceola "Soo" Depot
This depot was built in 1916 replacing a smaller wooden structure that was destroyed when two engines collided in front of it. Constructed of red, wire cut brick with white sandstone trim, the depot was very modern for its time, boasting both a . . . — Map (db m17591) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Osceola — Osceola Bluff
For thousands of years, this limestone bluff has been an area landmark. Chippewa Indians camped here along the "ginseng trail" that stretched from Balsam Lake in Polk County to New Richmond in St. Croix County. Overlooking the St. Croix National . . . — Map (db m17667) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Osceola — The Mills
By 1845, the first sawmill was erected in Osceola. It stood two stories high and was capable of cutting 10,000 board feet every 24 hours. Approximately 35 million board feet were cut during its existence. It was located on Osceola Creek near the . . . — Map (db m17554) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement