Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Oxford, Georgia Historical Markers

 
Kitty's Cottage Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, October 7, 2011
Kitty's Cottage Marker
Georgia (Newton County), Oxford — 20 — Kitty's Cottage1842
Kitty’s cottage was built in 1842 by Bishop James O. Andrew for an inherited slave who could not be freed and still live in Georgia; Kitty preferred to remain with the Andrew family rather than be sent to Africa. In 1938 Kitty’s cottage was bought . . . — Map (db m48584) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Oxford — 19 — Old Church - 1841
Old Church was the first Chapel of Emory College, and a church for Methodists in Oxford, a pulpit for scholar--preachers. It was the center of Methodism in the South when the issue of slavery split the Church in 1844, contributing to the succession . . . — Map (db m48536) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Oxford — 107-09 — Town of Oxford and Emory College
Emory College was chartered December 19, 1836 when Georgia Methodists expanded their educational program. Named in honor of Methodist Bishop John Emory (1789-1835) who helped organize several northern colleges and presided over the Georgia . . . — Map (db m11217) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Oxford — 16 — Town of Oxford, Georgia Historic Shrine of the United Methodist Church
(Front): In 1836 the Georgia Methodist Conference founded Emory College, named in honor of Bishop John Emory who had died the year before. Early in 1837. 1452 acres of land were purchased with 330 acres being set aside for the college town . . . — Map (db m19732) HM

4 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
 
Paid Advertisement