On U.S. 45 at Sullivan Drive, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 45.
One of the oldest Piney Woods settlements. Many of Scotch-Irish pioneers held Georgia grants. Nearby RR bridge over Buckatunna Creek was scene of famous holdup in eighties by Burrows gang. — — Map (db m59305) HM
On Buckatunna-Chicora-Clara Road at Chicora-State Line Road, on the right when traveling west on Buckatunna-Chicora-Clara Road.
Born at Chicora, Mississippi, in February 1898, Ira Platt Swift graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1919. Decorated many times for distinguished service, Swift commanded combat units in Europe in World War II and in the Korean War. His last . . . — — Map (db m80377) HM
On State Highway 63 at Buckatunna-Chicora-Clara Road, on the right when traveling north on State Highway 63.
Jesse Otto Rodgers (1911-1973) born near Waynesboro, first cousin to Jimmie Rodgers, began singing on Mexican border radio stations after relocating to Texas. He wrote songs and recorded for Bluebird Records in the mid-1930s, . . . — — Map (db m80349) HM
On Clara School Road 0.1 miles south of Mississippi Highway 63, on the right when traveling north.
Open here from 1911 to 1938 offering education, work, and practical experience to the rural youth of the county. Boasted classrooms, boys' and girls' dorms, dairy herd and barn, and cultivated fields. — — Map (db m80376) HM
On Jimmy Ramey Lane 1 mile west of U.S. 45, on the right when traveling west.
Clinch Gray, son of Thomas Gray, who was council to the Crown in 1765, Virginia State Legislator 1779-1794, Tennessee lawyer and legislator 1795-1829.
Clinch Gray, accompanied by Fann Crease settled at this site in 1805.
In 1811, he was . . . — — Map (db m80365) HM
On Dyess Bridge Road at Big Rock Road, on the left when traveling east on Dyess Bridge Road.
To facilitate travel between Wayne Co., Miss. and points west, W.C.C. Dyess built here the first bridge over the Buckatunna River, 1868-70. It continued in use until 1912. Dyess homestead 200 ft. N.W. — — Map (db m80368) HM
On Azalea Drive (State Highway 184) at Fagan Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Azalea Drive.
In 1962, the First State Bank in Waynesboro became the first bank in Mississippi to open an auto bank offering drive-up window service. The idea originated with bank president and later chairman W.D. Mangum. Approved by the state bank comptroller . . . — — Map (db m80369) HM
On Azalea Drive (State Highway 184) at Mississippi drive (State Highway 145), on the right when traveling north on Azalea Drive.
First Baptist Church, originally named Salem Baptist Church, was organized in 1806 near Patton’s Creek, approximately 1½ miles southeast of town. The congregation moved to this site in 1895 and built a wood frame church. The name was officially . . . — — Map (db m80373) HM
On Turner Street (State Highway 63) at Wayne Street, on the right when traveling south on Turner Street.
The First United Methodist Church of Waynesboro was established in 1858 by John C. Patton as a Methodist Protestant Church. Their first sanctuary, a two-story wood frame building shared with a local Masonic Lodge, was built the same year. The church . . . — — Map (db m80371) HM
On U.S. 45 at Jimmy Ramey Road, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 45.
This family was estab. in Wayne County by Clinch Gray, a native of North Carolina. He immigrated to this region in 1808, one yr. before the Co. was organ. within the Mississippi Terr. Gray signed Miss.'s first const. in 1817. He was buried here, . . . — — Map (db m80359) HM
On Turner Street (State Highway 63) at Azalea Drive (State Highway 184), on the right when traveling south on Turner Street.
Lt. Lindsey was awarded the 100th Congressional Medal of Honor given in World War II. Presented by Pres. Truman, Lindsey was the only recipient to ever receive the award before a Joint Session of the Congress. — — Map (db m80370) HM
On Chickasawhay Street at Azalea Drive (Mississippi Highway 184), on the right when traveling south on Chickasawhay Street.
neath the flag
Stars and Bars
Furl that banner
true' tis gory,
yet' tis wreathed
around with glory,
and' twill live . . . — — Map (db m80386) WM
On Azalea Drive (State Highway 184) at Turner Street (State Highway 63), on the right when traveling south on Azalea Drive.
Dedicated to the memory
Wayne County Mississippi
who gave their lives
in the service
of our country
1917 — 1975
"If ye break faith we
shall have died in vain"
World War I . . . — — Map (db m80387) WM
On Old 45 Winchester Road at Winchester Cross Road, on the right when traveling south on Old 45 Winchester Road.
Born 1780 in S.C. First signer of petition in 1808 to form Wayne Co. from Miss. Territory. Served in several Wayne County courts. State’s 2nd Lt. Governor 1820-1822. Died May 3, 1830, at Winchester. Brd. 6/10 mi. SW in S33~T8N~R6W. — — Map (db m80380) HM