Klamath Falls in Klamath County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
This Marks the Road to Topsy Grade
Erected 1970 by Daughters of the American Colonists.
Location. 42° 13.712′ N, 121° 46.498′ W. Marker is in Klamath Falls, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker is on Main Street. Touch for map. This marker is located outside in front of the Klamath County Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1451 Main Street, Klamath Falls OR 97601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Van Brimmer Cabin 1864-1928 (within shouting distance of this marker); Marion Apartments (approx. half a mile away); Whitlock House (approx. half a mile away); Locomotive 2579 (approx. 0.8 miles away); George Nurse (In Memory of) (approx. one mile away); Pioneer Furtrader (approx. one mile away); Stukel Ranch (approx. 1.4 miles away); Eulalona (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Klamath Falls.
More about this marker.
Regarding This Marks the Road to Topsy Grade. There is a placard near this marker that explains in more detail the history behind Topsy Grade Road and this marker and reads:
Topsy Road, the first good road into the Klamath Basin, was built in the 1870s (by H.C. Tichnor). The most difficult section, known as Topsy Grade, was chiseled from the southeast side of the Klamath River Canyon. Though narrow and steep, the road remained the primary route leading south from Klamath Falls for more than 30 years.
Stagecoaches and freight wagons plied the route daily until a railroad reached the Klamath Basin in 1908.
The Daughters of the American Colonists placed this historic marker near the north end of the Topsy Road in 1970, but later removed the marker after it was vandalized. The marker was put on display at this location in 2008, with funding from the DAC in memory of longtime member Isabelle Silver Porter (1906-2004).
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 9, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 5, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.