Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John Berry, Frontiersman
Berry’s oldest sons, Joseph (1811–1842), John Bate (1813–1891), and Andrew Jackson (1816–1899), served in the Republic of Texas Army. All three were Texas Rangers before and after the War for Independence (1836) and in the Battle of Plum Creek (1840). Joseph was the first casualty in the Mier Expedition (1842), and John Bate was in Perote Prison for a year.
A Williamson County pioneer, John Berry settled three miles northeast of Georgetown in 1846. He built a blacksmith and gun shop and a spring-driven grist mill near Berry Creek. Berry had 18 children by his three wives: Betsy Smeathers (d. 1818), daughter of pioneer Texan William Smeathers (Smothers); Gracie Treat (d. 1830); and Hannah Devore (1812–1904). Five sons and three sons-in-law served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War (1861–1865). Berry died at age 80 and was buried near his home. His descendants include a great-grandson, Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier in American history.
Erected 1978 by the Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 30° 40.983′ N, 97° 38.322′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on CR-152 (County Route 152). Touch for map. At entrance to Berry Springs Park. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pennington Family Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); James B. Williams (approx. 2.5 miles away); Jesse Cooper House (approx. 2.8 miles away); San Gabriel Lodge No. 89, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 2.9 miles away); San Gabriel Park (approx. 3.1 miles away); City of Weir (approx. 3.2 miles away); Weir Community Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Iota Chapter (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Also see . . . Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on December 26, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,574 times since then and 136 times this year. Last updated on February 4, 2017, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.