College Station in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The families of Shiloh community maintained a cooperative relationship, often helping each other with planting, harvesting, barn building, and other activities. In 1883, to coordinate assistance efforts and group purchases of farm supplies, they formed the Slavonic Agricultural and Benevolent Society, which still exists in reorganized form as the Shiloh Club. The community later was completely encompassed by the City of College Station.
Mrs. William G. Rector deeded land at this site to the local Methodist Church in 1870 for use as a community cemetery. The property later was acquired by the City of College Station, which established a larger city cemetery around the original Shiloh Graveyard. Although little remains of the Shiloh community, this cemetery serves as a reminder of a once-thriving settlement.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8696.)
Location. 30° 36.292′ N, 96° 18.413′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is just inside the entrance to Memorial Cemetery of College Station. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2530 S Texas Ave, College Station TX 77840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Texas A&M University (approx. 1.9 miles away); Town Named for William Joel Bryan (approx. 6.1 miles away); Brazos County (approx. 6.1 miles away); Brazos County Confederate Commissioners Court (approx. 6.1 miles away); Harvey Mitchell (approx. 6.1 miles away); Carnegie Public Library (approx. 6.2 miles away); La Salle Hotel (approx. 6.2 miles away); Queen Theater (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2017, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2017, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.