Tupelo in Lee County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Carver School / Desegregation of Schools Across the South
—Heritage Trails Enrichment Program —
Named for Dr. George Washington Carver, Carver School was built in 1939 to serve the educational Tupelo's African-American children Carver, along with local churches, was the center of social activities for the African-American community. In addition to educating children, the school produced many talented athletes and musicians, The campus also housed the community recreation center known then as "the playground during the summer months. The Desegregation Act of 1954 did not affect Carver directly until 1965 when "freedom of choice" took the place of "separate but equal." A handful of high school students enrolled at Tupelo High School, not without controversy but without the violence some experienced across the South. A greater number of elementary students enrolled at Church Street Elementary School. When the federal government mandated that all schools in the South must integrate Carver School became a meeting center for the African-American community. After total desegregation, Carver School became the ninth-grade center for all Tupelo school children and currently houses an elementary school. Today, Carver stands as a monument to the Tupelo educational system and the many thousands of school children whose education has been advanced there.
For 58 years following the 1896 U.S. Supreme Court decision in Plessy v. Ferguson, segregation in public schools became the standard throughout the South. The "separate but equal" rule led to the establishment of a dual but unequal school system, one for white students and one for black students. School administrators and school boards, through policies and practices, allowed the quality of white schools to be superior to that of black schools. It was common practice for black schools to receive used textbooks, often outdated, that were handed down from their white counterparts. The same was true for science equipment, desks, chairs, band instruments, football equipment and office equipment. In 1955, thé Supreme Court ordered desegregation of public education facilities at the state level "with all deliberate speed in Brown v. Board of Education. For many school districts in the South, however, deliberate speed came to mean slow speed, and full integration was not realized for many years following the court ruling.
Erected 2014 by the Tupelo Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Location. 34° 16.251′ N, 88° 42.454′ W. Marker is in Tupelo, Mississippi, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: North Green Street, Tupelo MS 38804, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Green Street Business District / Social Hub (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mayhorn Grocery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Spring Hill Missionary Baptist Church / A Strong Voice in the Civil Rights Struggle in Tupelo (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robins Field / High School Football During Segregation (approx. half a mile away); The Dixie Belle Theater / The March of Discontent (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tupelo Baptist Church / Kind Treatment for the Wounded (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Younger Cabin / Confederate Headquarters (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lee County Library (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tupelo.
More about this marker. Part of the Tupelo Civil Rights and African American Heritage trail.
Also see . . . Carver’s claim: School ‘monumental’ in Tupelo’s history. (Submitted on April 16, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • African Americans • Civil Rights • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 16, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.