Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
State House Square
"...pretty well ransacked and things torn up generally."
—March to the Sea Heritage Trail —
On Wednesday, January 16, 1861, Georgia's Secession Convention of 300 delegates assembled in the House of Representatives chamber whose arched windows are visible above the building's north portico. Those addressing the convention included Robert Toombs, Alexander H. Stephens and James L. Orr, South Carolina's secession commissioner to Georgia. Attending the convention as observers were Robert Barnwell Rhett of South Carolina and Edmund Ruffin of Virginia. After spirited debates, on January 19th the delegates voted 208 in favor to 89 opposed to remove Georgia from the Union.
Before the arrival of Union Major General William T. Sherman's army on their "March to the Sea" the State House Square was the tented campground of Milledgeville's garrison. These were
The square became a center of activity for the Federal 14th and 20th Corps when they occupied Milledgeville from November 22 to 24, 1864. Provost guard campsites of the 3rd Wisconsin and 107th New York Infantry Regiments were located on the square. Federal troops destroyed the State Magazine on the east side of the square and on the west side emptied the State Arsenal of six wagonloads of munitions, which were dumped into the Oconee River. The arsenal was then blown up, damaging nearby St. Stephens Episcopal Church. The church and State House were also extensively vandalized.
Inside the State House a raucous group of soldiers staged a mock session of the Georgia legislature and "repealed" the Ordinance of Secession. Troops also strewed the halls and grounds with state documents and papers and dumped the contents of the State House library out of its windows. A mock funeral for the "departed" Governor Brown was held with an empty "Joe Brown Pike"
Top left: Alexander H. Stephens and Robert Toombs
Despite being on opposite sides of the question of secession they were close and lifelong friends.
Middle: Raising the Colors of the 107th New York Over the Capitol. Milledgeville, Georgia, November 22, 1864
Top right: State House Square in downtown Milledgeville
Bottom right: State Arsenal at Milledgeville
(Special Collections, GCSU Library)
Background watermark: Capitol at Milledgeville, Georgia (Harper's Weekly)
Erected by Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails, Inc. (Marker Number L16.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 33° 4.803′ N, 83° 13.489′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of East Greene Street and South Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling east on East Greene Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 East Greene Street, Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alexis de Tocqueville (here, next to this marker); Provost Guard Campsite (was a few steps from this marker but has been reported missing. ); Georgia's Secession Convention (within shouting distance of this marker); Troup-Clark Political Feud (within shouting distance of this marker); Milledgeville Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); In Commemoration of Marquis De Lafayette (within shouting distance of this marker); Old State Capitol (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Fort Defiance (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Also see . . . Georgia Encyclopedia article: Georgia Secession Convention of 1861. (Submitted on May 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Government • Politics • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.