Grand Gulf in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
The Spanish House
—Port Gibson Historic Tour —
The proximity of the house to Fort Wade caused considerable damage from Federal shells in 1863. It was repaired after the war and returned to its original condition in 1958 by replacing deteriorated timbers with new ones hewn from local forests.
It is a jewel of the past and will be preserved for the pleasure of the future.
Erected by the Grand Gulf Military Monument Commission.
Location. 32° 1.894′ N, 91° 3.126′ W. Marker is in Grand Gulf, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker can be reached from Grand Gulf Road 0.1 miles from River Road. Touch for map. Located at the Fort Wade area of the Grand Gulf Military Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12006 Grand Gulf Road, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. This XIII-inch Mortar (a few steps from this marker); Second Grand Gulf Naval Battle (a few steps from this marker); First Grand Gulf Naval Battle (within shouting distance of this marker); Victories and Defeats - The Cost of War (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Wade Ammunition Magazine (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Wade (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Riﬂe Pits (within shouting distance of this marker); Water Wheel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Gulf.
Regarding The Spanish House. One of the 2 original buildings left of the old town of Grand Gulf.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 30, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 4, 5. submitted on February 17, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.